Back Protection?

Netherking

hey

just wondering if anyone is as paranoid as me when it comes to coming off the back, and slaming they back in.

i've had problems with my back already and have come off once before, lucky on dirt not an edge of a wall or anything. :)

just looking for a little one to come up to my shoulder blades and down to cover my tail bone.

cheers harry

just looking for a little one to come up to my shoulder blades and down to cover my tail bone.

It wont really work youll find that they genrally use rigid plates to protect the vunerable areas.... however this really isnt practical in trials where you need flex across the whole of your back for all trials moves.... it will get in the way an hold you back i think.... people use then im DH though CRC have some 661 "suits" which offer shouder and back protection so if you really want to try it i think thats your best bet!

or maybe a rugby "armorfits" (sp?) shirts which is a tight lycra with padding inside... quite expensive but i used to wear one particuallarly when in the scrum...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7108

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9570

Both look pretty good. And 661 stuff in normally top notch. The more expensive one does look a lot better.

I use to wear one pretty similair to that under my motorbike leathers and tops when i went racing. Needless to say they restrict you movement no end, and make it much harder to move about.

So by all means try one, but i'm sure you will find with a sport like trials where body movement is key, that it is very impractical.

I use to wear one pretty similair to that under my motorbike leathers and tops when i went racing. Needless to say they restrict you movement no end, and make it much harder to move about.

So by all means try one, but i'm sure you will find with a sport like trials where body movement is key, that it is very impractical.

yeah i no what you mean, you need a lot of movement to carry out any moves and thats why i asked if anyone found a back protecter stronger enough and flexible enough to work with trials, guess i had better not fall off. ha

cheers everyone

It wont really work youll find that they genrally use rigid plates to protect the vunerable areas.... however this really isnt practical in trials where you need flex across the whole of your back for all trials moves.... it will get in the way an hold you back i think.... people use then im DH though CRC have some 661 "suits" which offer shouder and back protection so if you really want to try it i think thats your best bet!

or maybe a rugby "armorfits" (sp?) shirts which is a tight lycra with padding inside... quite expensive but i used to wear one particuallarly when in the scrum...

wont really do much, the most they cover is the top of the shoulders and the front of the chest and stomach 'cos of the tackling area, maybe a bit of the soulder blade and top of the neck but they are generally quite thin and wont protect from sharp edges of walls, they're more designed to protect against softer and less sharp impacts.

cheers lewis

Could look at something from the snowboarding world, like this:

http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/cgi-bin/ps...ser|1,0,0,1|12|

I was thinking about getting something like it a while ago. A mate had one of a similar design and said it performed well, and you do need a fair bit of back mobility for boarding, but how well that translates to trials? fuk nose.

i'm waiting for a dainese back protector to arrive but i can't remember which model it was. I crushed a vertabrae in the top of my spine when my rear brake slipped a few months ago. I've only just started riding again & have got absolutely no confidence to commit to anything fully anymore. I'm hoping the back protector will give me the boost that i need & i'll let you know how i get on with it.

i'm waiting for a dainese back protector to arrive but i can't remember which model it was. I crushed a vertabrae in the top of my spine when my rear brake slipped a few months ago. I've only just started riding again & have got absolutely no confidence to commit to anything fully anymore. I'm hoping the back protector will give me the boost that i need & i'll let you know how i get on with it.

Shit, sorry to hear that dude. Hope you healing well, and that the back protecter works well for you. Just remember to take it easy and let it come back in its own time. Good luck man.

I'm not sure a back protector is worth restrictions it gives you in trials, so for most people there's no point. But I guess in your case it's a bit different. So why not try one? I've got a bag/back protector for snowboarding which wouldn't be that much fun on a bike - it's quite restrictive and also heavy (though I do use it for XC 'cos it's also a Camelback), but it was very reasonable - £40 from Decathlon. Might be worth checking them out, rather than Dainese which is dead expensive. If you want Dainese, you can often get decent stuff on eBay.

lots of people here use back protectors for comps. my mum made me wear one for comps, but i didn't like it at all. it was a ufo one, got at an mx shop.

i am sure ive seen peter bäckgren use his indoors, and he seems to get along fine, and it is definitely doable.