Rear Hubs, Which One

Netherking

i brought a Spec 1 T-rex as loads of people said you'll have to replace everything pretty quick because it dies.

now i think the hubs about to explode, its just constantly slipping (which is going to kill me)

so i need a new one and wondered what you guys use. i'd like to try the new trials hope beast but i' haven't really got that kinda of money

i think i wanna get rear free hub, i'm going to be using single speed too.

any ideas would be great

cheers harry

Depending on the gear ratio you want to run, something like a DMR Revolver hub and an ACS freewheel is a very cheap yet very tough solution (you can pick up both those items for around £45 including postage!). It would mean running 22-18, however that's a pretty good gear ratio - check the number of teeth on your current drive sprocket.

If you're running something like a 20T on the back at the moment, then it would be worth sticking a 20T on your cranks (making your ratio 20-18) and that would match pretty closely...

Anyway, I'm waffling now, but you don't specifically need a freewheeling rear hub to ensure a durable and pretty lightweight setup :)

Hope that helps

Adam

Depending on the gear ratio you want to run, something like a DMR Revolver hub and an ACS freewheel is a very cheap yet very tough solution (you can pick up both those items for around £45 including postage!). It would mean running 22-18, however that's a pretty good gear ratio - check the number of teeth on your current drive sprocket.

If you're running something like a 20T on the back at the moment, then it would be worth sticking a 20T on your cranks (making your ratio 20-18) and that would match pretty closely...

Anyway, I'm waffling now, but you don't specifically need a freewheeling rear hub to ensure a durable and pretty lightweight setup :)

Hope that helps

Adam

nice thats a good idea, getting a fixed Hub yar and a freewheeling sprocket.

i'm running 18 front and 16 back.

i've got a full fat onza on the back at the moment and i'm thinking about just getting a whole wheel built.

ACS Claws 16T

DMR Revolver Non Disc

Sapim Race 26"

Revell Rear 26"

Edited by Netherking

nice thats a good idea, getting a fixed Hub yar and a freewheeling sprocket.

i'm running 18 front and 16 back.

i've got a full fat onza on the back at the moment and i'm thinking about just getting a whole wheel built.

ACS Claws 16T

DMR Revolver Non Disc

Sapim Race 26"

Revell Rear 26"

I wouldn't go anywhere near DMR revolvers, was considering when I was in exactly the same situation as you however most the reviews I read about the Revolver were saying it was terrible. (go look on crc)

In the end I brought a new wheel with a hope xc hub which is still going strong (Y)

I know you said otherwise but consider looking for a second hand hope xc or pro 2.

Phil

i've been running a dmr revolver with a 16t acs claw freewheel for about 6 or 7 months now and its took a fair bit of hammer, seems really tough and the freewheel hasnt skipped once in all that time. its cheaper than getting a half decent cassette hub and tougher in my eyes. only down side is if you was to run gears. and i have heard a lot of bad things about the axles on the revolver casette hub.

thanks

i've been running a dmr revolver with a 16t acs claw freewheel for about 6 or 7 months now and its took a fair bit of hammer, seems really tough and the freewheel hasnt skipped once in all that time. its cheaper than getting a half decent cassette hub and tougher in my eyes. only down side is if you was to run gears. and i have heard a lot of bad things about the axles on the revolver casette hub.

thanks

yeah cheers for that, i'm only gonna run single speed so i reckon it'll be fine. and the other plus if the freewheel does die sooner than expected you don't have to replace the hub too, just get a new £14 freewheel

cheers

harry