Front Fork Issue

Hendrix

I'm trying to get the front fork off my doner bike, but it seems weel and truly stuck on1 I've used WD40 & Got all of the rust off of it! It's full suspention, and it was free, so I couldn't resist!

SO, C'mon... any ideas on how to get it off....

WITHOUT USING A HACKSAW!

Would help if you told us how they're fitted...

On most modern bikes, you undo the topcap, and then tap the top of the headtube to let the forks drop out. - As the headset will have a wedge piece to hold it all together, so when you'd tighten the headset, it'd all get wedged...etc.

If it's got one of those horrible stems, where you tighten to top bolt, which widens the piece inside it.. then you need to take the stem off, then undo the headset on the threaded steerur.

Once you've undone those two bolts (usually with a 30-32mm spanner?) then the forks should just drop out?

Would help if you told us how they're fitted...

On most modern bikes, you undo the topcap, and then tap the top of the headtube to let the forks drop out. - As the headset will have a wedge piece to hold it all together, so when you'd tighten the headset, it'd all get wedged...etc.

If it's got one of those horrible stems, where you tighten to top bolt, which widens the piece inside it.. then you need to take the stem off, then undo the headset on the threaded steerur.

Once you've undone those two bolts (usually with a 30-32mm spanner?) then the forks should just drop out?

Bottom One...

I've tried all my tools... and they fit, but they just wont move. May nick my neighbours power turner... ... shove it on, and I'm away.. hopefuly!

Ok, what exactly are you doing though?

What wont fit where? :blink:

I have to undo these "bolt like" things, to get the forks to drop out...

now, they seem to be glued into place... because I've used every tool that'd fit, and they wont move.

Whole Tub of WD40 too!!

Ok..the 32mm(ish) giant nut things on the steerur?

Get the spanner on it, try and hold it tightly in place, and knock the end with a rubber/soft blow mallet.

If not, find something that you can use for more leverage - giant poll...anything that you can attach to the end...

Ok..the 32mm(ish) giant nut things on the steerur?

Get the spanner on it, try and hold it tightly in place, and knock the end with a rubber/soft blow mallet.

If not, find something that you can use for more leverage - giant poll...anything that you can attach to the end...

Will try that as soon as it's stopped raining =)

I have to undo these "bolt like" things, to get the forks to drop out...

now, they seem to be glued into place... because I've used every tool that'd fit, and they wont move.

Whole Tub of WD40 too!!

When you say 'things', i'm guessing you mean theres more than 1 (cos otherwise you would say thing, as it singular)? there shouldn't be if its a quill stem, however there will be if its an ahead stem. unless you mean the headset bolts, or which dan has pretty much summed it up

Or, a great alternative, give up on the sodding heap of scrap steel and just give in, buy a proper trials bike and actually be happy, this thing is an immense waste of time and wont help you at all, a few of us have tried it (yes i'm guilty) and its just pointless, the time you spend on it, would be put to better use earning some money with a job of some sort

if its got a quill stem it'll be a 1" headtube anyway so the forks won't fit the 1 1/8" hole in the other frame

will it? I don't do mountainbikes

anyway. do what Paul said. it's much better idea

you can get 1 1/8" quill too dude (and 1 1/4" i believe), and there used to be adaptors for 1 1/8" frames to take 1"forks

1" is most common though, and utterly wank weak too! bendy bendy, snappy snappy, woooo

For cryin' out loud ! Will someone please donate a cracked / bent frame to this fella ?

Gotta admire the guy's determination , but his current project is ultimately pointless and possibly dangerous if the resulting Frankenbike ( tm ) is used for anything remotely trialsish .

For cryin' out loud ! Will someone please donate a cracked / bent frame to this fella ?

Gotta admire the guy's determination , but his current project is ultimately pointless and possibly dangerous if the resulting Frankenbike ( tm ) is used for anything remotely trialsish .

Lmfao irl seriusly! Mate, i have a 1980s racing frame you can have, i am sure you can pull a few hops on this, and a nice little project!(pay for postage) :P:

20050129newoldbike.jpg

Nah , joke ;P But serisuly why dont you just buuy a cheap frame, this is geting stupid now, all these frames you are pulling out the dumps :P