Bike Rack For A Mini

rocks370

i found that my very old generic boot rack fitted pretty well, with the hooks usually aimed at going over the rear hatch, fitting into the gutter and under the bottom of the mini boot quite well.

strapped down that all fitted really nicely, although, great care was needed when putting the bike on, i once did it in a hurry, and 5 miles down the road, it had moved, and the forks had rubbed through to bare metal on my bootlid.... not good!

also, id never put more than one bike on it, due to the way the straps are pulling on the gutter, and more than one bike, and your asking to deform the gutter. i never felt truely happy with it on the boot.

then- we have always had a thule roof rack for our cars, just getting new footplates for our different cars.

i got a set of the standard square roof bars, and the mini foot pack to mount them.

theyre really simple, and just clip onto the roof rails and secure really nicely. then i bought the cheaper halfords cycle carriers, and slotted them on.

it takes two bikes very comfortably with no worries what so ever. and not putting nearly as much stress on the gutter due to the way its attatched.

windage wise, the roof rack does give a lot of drag, but that said, to keep the boot rack legal (displaying the number plate and all lights) you have to mount it pretty high up anyway, an it sits well above the roofline with a bike on it!

either will do really, but my money is on the roof rack, as its also useful should you ever need to stick anything strange on the roof!

also-i once got 4 bikes on it easily too! windage was terrible, but it took them! and FAR safer than the boot rack