Rear Brake Help

loffa

So, after running Magura for about 3 years and having nothing but troubles with it (leaking every single way it possibly can, (always using Magura oil), snapping a few levers etc) I went for a rear disc and got myself a Simtra with a 200mm Mono Trials. I have ran the Hope for about 6 months now and I love the fact that it's completely maintainance free and quiet plus the power isn't bad either. But I can't stand the mushy lever any more, so I might be going for a change either to a 200mm BB7 or a vee and before deciding I wanted to hear a few suggestions from guys who have ran similar setups before.

I love the smoothness and quietness a disk brake gives so I'm leaning a bit towards the BB7 side, but I've hear pretty mixed reviews about running BB7's on the rear and I've never tried one myself (not on a trials bike at least) so I'm not sure about it. I've heard that they don't have enough power for a rear wheel, yet my front 203mm BB7 is a beast.

If I'll be going for a vee than I'll be rocking the following setup: Avid SD7/Ultimate calipers, Heatsink Reds, Heatsink adapters, XTR cable, hosing, lever and booster.

Any suggestions? Anyone who has ran a BB7 on the rear, how have you liked it?

Cheers,

Hendrik

Edited by loffa

Hey Hendrik,

Did you ever re-bleed your Mono Trial, and chop the hose down? They're never quite perfect from the box... Those two things help a lot, also obviously improve power. The '07 model of the brake is stiffer than previous years too - I would say mine is at least on a par with an HS33 with booster.

Adam

Edit: Also, some of the brakes came with 5mm hose instead of 6mm... the 6mm was much stiffer. Any ideas which you have?

Hey Hendrik,

Did you ever re-bleed your Mono Trial, and chop the hose down? They're never quite perfect from the box... Those two things help a lot, also obviously improve power. The '07 model of the brake is stiffer than previous years too - I would say mine is at least on a par with an HS33 with booster.

Adam

Edit: Also, some of the brakes came with 5mm hose instead of 6mm... the 6mm was much stiffer. Any ideas which you have?

My hope mono is really spongey at the lever, i would feel the bite and then it would just sponge :blink: is it meant to feel stiff

JK

EDIT - this happened when it was brand new too

Edited by J-KAY

Actually I haven't rebleed it (how dumb of me, I've never even thoguht of that :rolleyes: ,yet I've dealt with lots of mushy maguras that could be fixed by doing a rebleed) as I didn't need to shorten the hose, it was just about the right lenght out of the box, but I'll give it a try. By the 5 or 6mm hose you mean the outer diameter of the hose? Including the clear plastic tube around the braided hose mine measures roughly at 6mm (5.9mm to be precise).

As for the '07 version, my mate has one on his Monty. I tried it for a second and it did feel a bit stiffer, but not much. (to compare these two, than mine is like a Magura with a RB lever on a KOT ms2 without a booster, (meaning that you can pull it against the bar if you really want to) and the '07 one was the same setup with a Magura lever) And I didn't like the round lever blade of the '07 brake either, it felt like it's going to hurt my finger when using it for more than a few minutes, I much prefer the older style flat Mini lever blade.

Edited by loffa

B)-->

QUOTE(joe b @ Apr 5 2007, 12:04 AM)
So you want a vee? :blink:

obviously never used anything other than something that came on an argos bike then...

i also had troubles with my 06 mono trial (upfront though), never felt right, so i got a bb7 instead, tis perfect now

anywho, at the back, never personally owned a rear disc for trials, have used a bb7 at the back and it was nice, cept for the pad wobble, which i found off putting. however i do run a v and prefer it over a maggy, cos they work far better (owned several maggys, as well as used many others on loads of peoples bikes, joe mahers being the only magura to ever actually impress me). the spec you came up with will be fine, personally id use heatsink backings with coust material over reds, and a linear slick cable over xtr though. a decent v brake setup in my eyes, completely pisses over a magura, and you wont have to have cheese metal, fiddly pad setup and leaking issues...

ye, v brakes really are very very good. mines holding fine, grabbing alright etc, avnt touched it since last summer, put a bit of tar on it the other day and it's gone a bit insane! (koxx yellows dead grind sd7 setup) much better than either of my mates citruseseses or crv's and maggies.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joe b @ Apr 5 2007, 12:04 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you want a vee? :blink:

obviously never used anything other than something that came on an argos bike then...

Believe it, or not, mate, i run a BB7 / Ultimate lever up front - i just have trouble setting vee's up so they're not spongy... :turned:

Cheers,

Joe.

I've been running a BB7 185 and now 203 on a Simtra for close to a year now. I heavily recommed a 203mm rotor and Kool Stop pads as the Avid ones wear out fast and don't lock that great. The main key to the brake is the setup. I find that I get better results by not following the manual completely. (the manual tells you to adjust both knobs so that the both pads lock the disc and then tighten the bolts on the caliper).

My method.

1. Adjust the inside knob to make sure that about half the pad sticks out.

2. Move the outside pad away from the rotor as much as you can.

3. Move the caliper gently so that the inside pad touches the rotor evenly.

4. Slowly start to tighten the caliper bolts and make sure that it doesn't move. (natural light helps to spot gaps between the pad and the rotor)

5. Once the caliper is tight move the outer pad to the desired position.

If this was done right, then when you squeze the lever there should be no flex of the rotor and the lever should feel firm.

The rest is just like the manual (i.e. don't use the barrel adjust to move the outside pad, only to tighten up the cable slack).

This should yield a very solid brake but nevertheless it will not be stronger than a fresh grind and soft pads especially

when the wheel wants to roll back. Otherwise, it will work great in most weather conditions w/o much maintenance

for quite some time.