Sh**ty T-poos... :(

CJtrials

Hi there fellow members.

I have a T-pro, I bent my bottom bracket so went to Aire Valley and got a new one fitted. They said that it felt asif it was stripping the threads as he was tightening it. :ermm: .

I was out in town today and noticed that it was loose (half of drive side cup was showing.) I went back to Aire Valley as it was around the corner to ask to have it tightened. They took it downstairs and I was informed that my bottom bracket threads were stripped!!! :o:(

Supposedly there was a bad batch of T- pros made and they all did this.? The threads were made bigger in the frame I have or something so a normal bb thread is too fine.. I was given the number for Super cycles and was advised to call them and tell them what has happened and they should replace it.

Although I could do this, I would imagine the whole process would take a while... That would mean missing out on riding, can anyone think of a way to make it work?? I was told to use loctite to put it in, I was thinking of using chemical metal as I want a new frame I just don't have the funds for it yet.

Any information appreciated.. Cheers CJ.. (Y)

Yeah I heard, but surely Aire Valley should have known about this and said something before selling me a normal bottom bracket..

CJ.. (Y)

If they could feel it stripping the thread as they were fitting it they should of stopped, looks like Aire Valley owe you a repair, they might be able to re tap the thread if its not too bad.

If they could feel it stripping the thread as they were fitting it they should of stopped, looks like Aire Valley owe you a repair, they might be able to re tap the thread if its not too bad.

doubt it, normally you have to tap it at a bigger thread.

then no bb would fit at all.

to try and fix the problem, try wrapping a couple of layers of electrical tape around the bb, might not work but worth a try?

Edited by Grant H

Hi well you could ether just rap a lot of ptfe tape round it or basicaly glue your bottom bracket in but this would void your warenty but just send it back to super cycles it will take a week max i would say.

chirs

I had this problem but I bought a Zona Zip frame with a stripped bb shell for p*ss cheap and my solution was to wrap lots of PTFE tape round the bb and tighten that up , I then put a lot of loctite around the lips of the cups and Ive been riding it for a month and its fine, no loosning at all.

But yeah, if the bike shop stripped your threads then they definitly should fix it for you , or if not get you a new frame.

cheers, Nile (Y)

There you go dude, read through this http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....showtopic=60196 And you will see how to solve it :) worked an absolute treat for me, used it like that for over 1.5 years! almost 2 actually!

Id suggest doing NOTHING. Bring it to aire valley, and ask them what they are going to do.

They should not have put a normal size BB in that frame, and they should have checked before screwing it in that it was indeed the right type. I really think the shop should be held responsible in this case. If halfords tried to screw a BMX BB into your frame you'd take it straight back to them, it's the same principle....

we/i put a normal b/b in didnt i CJ when you was here.

we are still getting (dont know where from) but lads keep bringing t-pro's into the shop with this b/b problem, its not a fault on the installation of a new b/b what can you do if the b/b is bent? the new one screwed in ok. but i would say when it was getting tight just didnt grip.

send it back to super cycles CJ, it wont take them long to turn it around (usually) we have had half dozen through the shop, but like i say the batch we had was yonks ago.

Maybe someone from supercycles can shed some light on the b/b scenario? as i got the work expo lad to rummage through the bin while emptying it into the big bin and just see if he could find the old one. but he couldnt. the old one came out, but was extremly tight in the frame.

has anyone else who has had a t-pro lately had the same issue??? iv had 3 or 4 in the shop in the last 2 months.

Waynio........................

:lol:

poor excuse to not get a new one though.

for the people who will put "well you will have known if it was stripping" "so its the installers fault"

you cant, as the b/b threads in perfect (feels like installing a normal b/b UNTIL you need to nip it up), its just the scale of the threads must be a cock hairs bigger, and it just doesnt have it, maybe a new "oversized" threaded b/b may do the trick? if you can get an oversized b/b CJ bring the other back to the shop and il swop that for some other bits you need.

Waynio......................

I have a t-pro with an oversized BB shell.

They're so annoying, the BB that came with my frame is oversized and fits perfect but is 119 length which is too short to run a front f/w (i rekon).

I tried to find a longer axled oversized BB but couldn't.

I ended up using my original oversized cups with a spare 127.5 axel I had.

I think it's only a certain batch of 05 t-pro's which have this.

About the thread stripping thing, it's definitely the bike shops fault, although there are not many frames which take different sized BB's they should still have checked it was the correct one to fit that specific frame.

If theres some thread left, Just use the oversized cups from your old bottom bracket and put them onto your new bottom bracket, screw in, if possible, then locktight it. Then start thinking of getting a new frame lol

has worked for many!

cheers

nafan

EDIt: Damm ^^^^

Edited by chocolate_bikes

Hi people

Thanks for all your interest in my topic, as I am wanting a new frame anyway, I might just use some chemical metal which my dad has to bodge it in until I have the funds for a new one? What you all think? How long ago did you get your new frame Trialspaz? Oh and just for the record... I never blamed it on you Wayne lol. I might still see if I can find an oversized bb from somewher though.

CJ.. (Y)