Car Choices Ohhhh

Radfax

Hey,

well i am in a very difficult dilema at the moment and i want some help deciding what to go for and why to go for it so here it goes. I have just made a £400 proffit on my old mini and have some wonga to buy a new car and i have wittled them down to two choices, the Vauxhall corsa and the VW polo/golf.

The past two cars i have owned have been a 1985 and 1982 minis. after driving them around for a while i realised that they were shite, slow and no fun unless you was prepared to fork out fapping loads or drive like a spacko. so due to this i decided to sell up and to be honest i am put off of older cars A LOT now. I would also like to say i have been quoted under a grand for either of these cars with all of my modifications diclared.

Anyways, here is my first choice...

I am drawn to corsas for many reasons, i have 3-4 friends with them and i have been out in them many a times and they feel very safe, comfortable and rather nippy aswell and being under £1000 To insure "on my own" i am very impresed. another thing which i really like is the fact that they are very easily modified and look great 90% of the time and anybody on here that knows me knows that my cars are usually modified as soon as they are on the drive or in the garage. Also having worked on a few corsas and many vauxhalls i am pretty confident in working on the engine and they seem pretty easy to enhance performance wise which is what i really want. Another thing which draws me to the cora is the ease of me being able to get one, for example I have found a 1995 1.4 LS 3 door very local to me, it seems to be in good nick and although some of you will sigh, it is fitted with a tidy bodykit and a nice set of wheels, it also has a straight through SS exhaust which sounds pretty tasty and although a lot of the stuff on it will be changed it seems alright, it is also VERY fairly priced for a corsa. ALSO Once insurance alows i am more than capeable of completing a C20XE (redtop for those of you who arent really up on the engine side of shiz) at work with the correct engine bracing ect.

My other option is...

A VW polo or posibly a Golf. The type that i will be going for is the MK3 polo or MK2 Golf. whatdraws me to these cars is the fact that you dont see one every corner you go round, and its pretty hard to come across a tasty one. If i was to buy one i would be dripping it on a set of 13" ATS classics or similar and it will drag its arse every where it goes. also with the modifications diclared the insurance will be under a grand as well as the corsa. But my main problem with these cars is they are old, and this is what i am REALLY trying to avoid! I diteste old cars with a pasion since owning my two and i dont want to be fooled again. But the fact that polos and golf arent as exspensive as some cars Eg a corsa. Also i dont think that a Polo would be proud of carrying a set of 15's playing non stop new breed B&D and grime hehe.

What would you lot say?? At the moment i am being drawn to the corsa purely for the modification opertunities and i think it would suit me more as a person!

Options please!!!!

You obviously know a lot more about cars than I do, so this is just a common sense thing really. That Corsa second hand with the body kit will most likely have been owned by a bit of a boy-racer and I'll bet it's been ragged.

easy to get more power out of a corsa? Do tell me hows its easy to get more power out of a 1.4 corsa engine?

You insurance will rocket once you declare all them mods and be over a grand. And if you dont plan on insuring them your a idiot.

Id go for the golf/polo, if not only to steer you away from chavved up cars, as its quite hard to ruin a older VW

Forgot to mention that a major thing putting me off of the corsa was the fact that they are as chavvy as shit!

JTM... I meant that i have more of a understanding of Vauxhalls than i do VW's, i meant by no means that VWs are hard i just have nevere owned/worked on one so there for dont have a clue what to do!

Also the quotes i got were with modifications diclares, wheels, audio and body modifications, thats whay i was so impresed by the corsa!

Volvos are great tramp drifters!

if I had to choose I'd go golf. EVERYONE tom dick and harry has a corsa now so they're just annoying.

having said that, my first car was a saxo, yeah i know chav car (not as bad as a nova innit?) but its fun to drive because its so small so its great for just getting yourself around. however I found that these "small" cars are crap when it comes to biking and taking weight anywhere so thats why I bought my felicia estate. 1.9 diesel its beefy enough to carry atleast 3 bikes, + 3 people possibly more. plus the benefits are despite the engine size, its pretty low on insurance, infact im nearly paying half for the skoda under my own name, (named driver on the saxo) Also diesel its better mpg, bit of a bitch when it comes to repairs + road tax but overall i save money (Y)

also, maybe an astra? again a bigger car, bigger engine, and again pretty low insurance on certain models. Also nice and good looking astras aren't as common (nice and good looking felicias are rarer :P ) so you could consider it an original project :)

i see what you are saying partz!

Thing is i have owned cars around the age of opolos golf ect and they seem crap although i havent driven a mk3 polo or mk2 golf to be fair! Another thing i find a problem with is the fact that the ones i have been looking at seem very tatty! i have 2 hunks of shit parked in my garage at the moment! i dont want a 3rd!!

Is it possible to get a nice exhaust note from a polo or golf, i hate chuggy crappy old sounding engines haha!

I will show you some of the VW's i come across :)

THANKS TOMR didnt notice your post there sorry mate!

If i was to get a astra it would deffinately be MK4 my MK3 phase 1 GSi was shite :(

Edited by Radfax

well the only reason i was put off of asras was because i bought a rinnger, shouldnt tar them all with the same brush though.

How much are we talking for a cheap mk4 in need of a tad of work? I have seen a taxed anbd moted one go for £800 on migweb

The past two cars i have owned have been a 1985 and 1982 minis. after driving them around for a while i realised that they were shite, slow and no fun unless you was prepared to fork out fapping loads or drive like a spacko.

My opinion of you has just gone down :P I fail to see how someone cannot find a mini fun!

Corsas are chavy. full stop. I fail to see how there "easy to modify" the only easy to modify bits ive seen for them are bolt on lights ect, or gay body kits. I know its possible to do engine convversions and stuff, but the base car is nowhere near what a VW will be. You wil lhave to spend as much as you do on a mini to make it properly quick and handle well.

VWs i prefer, you can chav them up if thats what your into, you can go euro, or you can go oem+, they seem to have more options when it comes to mods. Engine swaps seem to have more variety too, and there dead easy to work on- no to mention solid cars.

If you get a mk2 golf, 13s may not work, it doesnt work on many mk2s IMO.

:o i think i will just have top but a golf/polo to win back you effection!!!!!

Right, i think the corsa i s out of the picture! I VERy much like the euro look vws they are the sex!

Ok you have converted me to the VW side!!! Well done JTM!!!

Next question.... GOLF OR POLO

EDIT...

Minis are great fun and fun is never a issue when in a mini, just practicality and reliability is more of a problem!

Edited by Radfax

no tomm, no he doesnt, at all.

sorry mate, but if you think a mini is no fun, you are clearly clueless.....

just buy a corsa and leave us alone.

Ha ha was waiting for that one nick! I still have a shell, does that count? I just dont fancy cutting out 1/4th of the car to replace it again.

And thanks Si! I would be fumin if somebody was to be near me uninsured and licencless, so therefore wont do it, makes scence!

Think i have decied on a MK3 polo.

Ha ha was waiting for that one nick! I still have a shell, does that count? I just dont fancy cutting out 1/4th of the car to replace it again.

And thanks Si! I would be fumin if somebody was to be near me uninsured and licencless, so therefore wont do it, makes scence!

Think i have decied on a MK3 polo.

I can point you in the direction of someone selling a mk3 GT squareback.

I would prefer the Golf MkII, but surely you'll have to look hard to find one that hasn't already been thrashed as all the GTis have long been exchanging hands between boy racers now.

I once got a 3rd party quote on a H reg MkII GTi worth £500 and is was 1.5k! It could have been a dodgy quote since my insurance is usually only around £350 nowadays.

MG Maestro?

b1.jpg

My Dad used to own a pair of Maestros!

AdMaestro.jpg

Steve

sorry NTM I diteste the square backs Mk3 Coupe i think it will be for me if i go down the polo route!

thats the problem Steve... all ok the mk2 golfs have been ragged or meesed about with, and i dont want another complete rebuild! could anyone advise me as to where i can et a half decent MKII golf please/ engine size is not an issue.

i would preffer the golf but i think a polo would be less hastle

Yes i agree but they are 20 years old at the youngest arent they? and trying to find one thats in good nick and not been abused or completely shagged is also like finding a needle in a hay stack!

Not to say inssurance issues would be sky himg! I was quoted £1700 on my old mini if i was to get it turbo'd