Tips On Removing Crank Arm?

Boswell

I have just got a new set of cranks( Echo 7075, tryall BB and Czar bashring) but i can remove the drive side of my old muscleman cranks. The extraction thread has been ripped out and i have tried bashing it. Any ideas :(

Edited by mr ?

do you want the chainring anymore if not turn the bike upside down and hit the arm in several different directions then one big swing and it should come off

tom

Yes i do want my freewheel and i have already explained above that i have tried to bash it. thanks anyway.

Edited by mr ?

just ride around without a crank bolt in and it should loosen up

Im sure you mean out....

Anyway, i have had the bolts out for a good few weeks now and only the non drive side has come off, the drive side just will not budge! Now to top it off i think the tapper on the non drive side is rounding off. Arrrrr :angry:

lol, yeah I did mean out, having it in will do no good.

Well when my middleburns got stuck on the bb, I full on 'SMACKED' them with a giant lump hammer for a good 15 minutes, they soon came off, although my hand was dead from the vibrations, and my crank arm looked like a squased turd, point is it came off

heat the crank arm. I used a hair dryer type thing my dad uses for work ( obviously more heat than a hair dryer). the metal expands, then basically do all the above and it will come of in a good 5 minutes, providing you heat it up enough.

Put the non drive side crank back on but at 180 degrees to how it is supposed to be. It will be facing the same way as the drive side. Put the crank bolt in and do it up. Make sure the bolt is removed from the drive side. Get a car jack/small bottle jack/jaws of life in between and get cranking.