Trials Wiki

Anjow

Some other thoughts:

- Try and use third-person narrative when writing an article.

- Some editors/admins will be needed to maintain consistency and a naming convention - ordinary users can't rename articles. Example: there is an article 'Tightening Cranks'; linking to 'Tightening cranks' will not link to it because of different capitalisation. When creating the former article I mistakenly used capitals for both words when that was not correct, and I can't change it.

- Some editors/admins will be needed to maintain consistency and a naming convention - ordinary users can't rename articles. Example: there is an article 'Tightening Cranks'; linking to 'Tightening cranks' will not link to it because of different capitalisation. When creating the former article I mistakenly used capitals for both words when that was not correct, and I can't change it.

Hmm yeah noticed that. Any idea how to sort it if you're an admin? :S (new to this too..)

Seems to work now? I got redirected from Tightening_cranks to Tightening_Cranks

I'm afraid not. I know that at least for now, one can redirect. Here's how, with an example of how I fixed the Tightening Cranks page name:

1. Went to the Tightening Cranks page, clicked edit and copied the entire contents.

2. Searched for Tightening cranks, no article found, clicked on create the article.

3. Pasted contents of Tightening Cranks page and saved it. We now have two pages exactly the same - however we don't want this, we want one central page.

4. Returned to the Tightening Cranks page and clicked edit. Deleted the entire contents.

5. Inserted a redirect by adding:

#REDIRECT [[Tightening cranks]]

So now we have solved the problem of having the wrong name, AND when someone incorrectly links to Tightening Cranks, they won't get a blank page; they'll get redirected to the right page.

Edit: You got redirected because I just added the redirect :P

...And it was the other way around, you got redirected from Tightening Cranks to Tightening cranks.

I'll put more emphasis on using the third-person narrative - for those who don't know what it is, it means you don't say 'I think...' or write as though it is you talking to someone. It's the style used in formal documents and it maintains a more professional feel. Examples:

1st person: "I decided that..."

3rd person: "It was decided that..."

1st person: "I think that..."

3rd person: "Some think that..."

Also don't make your articles biased. Don't put your own personal opinion into them.

Edited by Anjow

Yeah, in IE it looks very fecked.

I don't mind putting my hand up, volunteering to help moderate it. Even if I do say so myself, my spelling grammar and punctuation is pretty good (I think) so if this new fangled Wiki needs to have immaculate punctuation etc. I could go through and correct errors.

Wow, i sound like a penis don't I? :lol:

Yeah, in IE it looks very fecked.

I don't mind putting my hand up, volunteering to help moderate it. Even if I do say so myself, my spelling grammar and punctuation is pretty good (I think) so if this new fangled Wiki needs to have immaculate punctuation etc. I could go through and correct errors.

Wow, i sound like a penis don't I? :lol:

Should look ok in IE now, just ctrl + f5 on any page that looks messed up

The skin doesn't look too bad on my IE.

P.S I justed PMed you tom.

(Y)

NOTE: ANYONE CAN EDIT/ADD STUFF TO THE PAGES!! when you're on a page and you notice a mistake/think something should be added, just click the 'edit' link on the left hand side (quite far down) and edit away and press save. Changes appear instantly. To add a page, make a new link (look at the existing links on the page to see how they're done) and click save, then click the link you just made and add the info :)

The wiki is seperate from the forum, so you will need to sign up to it seperatly (although guests can edit too). I'll integrate to 2 at a laster date.

If you have a link to your topic in the wiki and have some spare time, you could rewrite the contents of your topic as an article in the wiki - then other people can expand on it.

Edited by Anjow

I personally don't think Dans magura lazy piston advice is very good, when you can just run the break with no or little tpa and it sorts it.

People will be ripping their brakes apart for no reason.

I personally don't think Dans magura lazy piston advice is very good, when you can just run the break with no or little tpa and it sorts it.

People will be ripping their brakes apart for no reason.

Each to their own...

Although, I've tried your method of not using as much TPA, and my brake still felt shite, so I decided to properly clean the whole system, and see if that would solve anyting, and it did.

Different people will have different problems, your brake might be fine apart from too much TPA, whereas other's might be really old, and have gunk and what-not stuck to the pistons.

My method worked for me, so I though i'd share it. It seems to have worked for a fair few other people too, even after trying to use less TPA.

EDIT: Spelling.

Edited by Dan6061

Each to their own...

Although, I've tried your method of not using as much TPA, and my brake still felt shite, so I decided to properly clean the whole system, and see if that would solve anyting, and it did.

Different people will have different problems, your brake might be fine apart from too much TPA, whereas other's might be really old, and have gunk and what-not stuck to the pistons.

My method worked for me, so I though i'd share it. It seems to have worked for a fair few other people too, even after trying to use less TPA.

EDIT: Spelling.

Yeah that's fair enough :) but maybe just a little edit just to say try running you brake with little or no tpa and if that dosn't work try this, becuase even maguras site says that lazy pistons are due to using too much tpa.

(Y)

How come it's all been locked to prevent editting? :huh:

Edited by JT!