Grinded Or Smooth?

Richard jersey

I want to know whether or not to grind my back rim. At the moment I have a smooth rim with Onza Citrus pads and I just use tar to improve the brake. But some people say that grinding the rim is better and works better in the wet. I'm not sure what to do? Is it worth grinding it? Any help????

Richard

Ground rim and smooth rims both can be as good as each other, with certain pads. Though, grinding rims will wear yours pads down more and weaken your rim a tiny bit, the increased all-round performed out-weigh's this dis-advantage (Y) .

Good luck... :P

Cheers,

Joe.

I would definately say grinding is better it just seems to give that extra bite and works much better than smooth in the wet. If you add tar aswell it will just increase the performance, but as everyone else has said it does wear your pads down quicker. In the end its up to you but personally grind is much better!!!

Edited by andits

Thanks for all the help. I'm quite sure now that I will grind my rim from the advice everyone has given me. But most people have said that a grinded rim only really works with the right pads and some will wear down too quickly. What sort of pads are best from a grinded rim??

Cheers,

Richard

for a grind you cannot beat koxx bloxx browns! really grippy and last a freaking lifetime!

bit of a silly question lol, bit like asking whats better, a smooth rim with a caliper brake off of an argos bmx or a hs33 with braided hosing, echo booster, koxx bloxx and a harsh grind :P

Edited by Ben Cox

All depends on your set-up.

I've always ran standard Magura pads on a smooth rim with some tar (No money to change pads, and my dad is not convinced with the idea of grinding a rim).

More recently I've changed my rear pads to Onza Citrus pads (Cheers Al), and it is better than the Magura pads in the sense that the brake can be feathered more before it locks the rim. With my magura pads this was not the case.

A good grind and decent pads will you allow you to feather the brake, and have fairly good hold too. Also rembering the fact how a grind will shed away water from the rim, allowing your brakes to work in the wet (Dependant on grind and pads).

At the end of the day its up to you, I chose not to get a grind as I was scared that I'd make a bodge or that my magura pads weren't the right combination on a grind. So I just bought some tar and then I can always get a grind when I have the money.

for a grind you cannot beat koxx bloxx browns! really grippy and last a freaking lifetime!

bit of a silly question lol, bit like asking whats better, a smooth rim with a caliper brake off of an argos bmx or a hs33 with braided hosing, echo booster, koxx bloxx and a harsh grind :P

Nope i disagree Rock pads *** !!

A grind is a better option but it does weaken you rim ! (N)

Its up to you really,want to have bout 4 weeks of good riding then buy a new rim. (tryall's will last bout 2 week)

or keen putting tar on and have a rim until you want to change!

Personaly i would rather have a month of good riding :)

Ben(Y)

Dont grind it with citris pads, you'll only get 1 ride out of them... Mate round here has them on a non ground rim, we were all really impressed, 3 bikes and 3 sets of pads later (on grinds) theyre all dead after 1 ride :)

edit: the guy above... what the f**k are you on? 2 weeks for a rim?!?! Loose some weight... Ive never had a rim last less than 8 months for me.. with about 4 grinds as well... Koxx/onza/megamo/alexdx32 (most sold/stolen not replaced)

Edited by trialsmad

I use a smooth rim with heatsink reds and i do say, it is frigging amazing, obviously with a bit of tar. But when water gets onto it, im pretty stuffed. If you get a grind, your pads wont last and long and neither will the rim but a grind is more safer and wont slip as a smooth rim would, well less chance anyway.

JK

Nope i disagree Rock pads *** !!

A grind is a better option but it does weaken you rim ! (N)

Its up to you really,want to have bout 4 weeks of good riding then buy a new rim. (tryall's will last bout 2 week)

or keen putting tar on and have a rim until you want to change!

Personaly i would rather have a month of good riding :)

Ben(Y)

You've ridden for 2 weeks, I dont know how you came to this conclusion.

I have a grind and citrus pads, its pretty crap really.

Buy some smooth rim pads first, look on tarty for ones that are recommended for smooth rims and try them. It they arn't good enough, try some tar.

I have never used tar by the way, but it sounds good.

EDIT: BTW, 2 weeks for a Try-All rim is the biggest load of shite I have ever heard. They last for ages. If they only lasted for two weeks, no-one would have ever thought of drilling them would they?!

Edited by KuelMuel

its summer so leave it smooth when its winter grind your rim and and it should get less harsh by next summer again smooth rims for summer grind for winter :) its the way to go!! use thin layer of tar with both.