Computer Not Detecting Camera?

RobinJI

My laptops not detecting my camera recently, and the pics are building up on there. Can someone please explain why the hell its not working, I plug it in, the camera screen goes white and comes up with 'USB' in the corner, so it is connected, and the computer makes the new hardware bleep thing, but when I go in my computer to find the thing its either not there or when I click on it it thinks there's no pictures on it!

It used to work fine, so it can't be because I haven't blah blah software, it seems to just be another one to add to the list of 'problem caused by the fact its made by big, cheep ass, wankstain bill gates'

Why doesn't XP have a manual search for hardware? or have they just put it in a retarded place or something?

Its a fujifilm is that makes any difference. But it seems to me that the problem, as always is at the end made by microsoft.

Are you making sure to plug it into the same usb socket it was in when you instaleed the drivers for it? Sometimes my computer wont take pics off my phone or recognise my xbox controller if i don't stick them in the right ports.

Another thing, you've not recently gotten a new camera have you? Or a member of your family? As it may be a conflicting driver issue. In fact, what have you changed recently at all? New software or anything? I've had issues with my camera when i installed a dvd ripping program :S, uninstalling it brought the camera functionality back.

Hey, cheers, I haven't tried un-installing and re-installing the drivers as I'm not really sure how, it was just a plug and play affair, just seems to read it like any old USB stick really, whack it in and it reads anything on it.

I have a card reader, but being Fuji its an XD card, and my card reader won't read 'em. grrr.

I'll try the same USB port, but my little old laptop only has the 2, so chances are I've tried it in each a few times, dunno though, definatly worth a try. (Y) cheers.

Edit: just tried it in the other USB port, no luck :(

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...

I think he just used the Windows Wizzard thang to detect the camera the first time he plugged it in and uses My Computer to open the pictures. If that is the case this is the only thing I can think of - Plug the camera in and turn it on, goto Start > Control Pannel (Make sure its Category View), Performance and Maintenance > System. Goto the 'Hardware' tab and click 'Device Manager'. At the bottom of the list it should say "Universal Serial Bus Controllers", Extend that by clicking the little plus to the left of the name, See if your camera if listed there, If you are not sure just double click it and it'll tell you the manufacturer which would be Fuji Film or whatever. If you manage to find it on the list double click it (Same menu that tells you the manufacturer), You could TroubleShoot it, Update driver (Out of date driver isnt likely but worth a try) or Uninstall the driver, Unplug the camera then plug it back in and let windows detect it :) If that didnt help I'm not sure whats wrong, sorry :P

Oh yeah, that sometimes works when it detects the camera but it doesn't detect that there's anything on it, but I'd still kinda rather do it my way, which is indeed what saltwaterhippo guessed. Using my computer and all that kack.

Sweet, thanks Saltwaterhippo, I'll try that in the morning when I can face thinking about computers properly.

And yeah, that is indeed one of the many many lame things about PC's that makes me wish I'd just saved up and got a mac every time I think about it. grrr..

So anyone up for whacking bill gates in the face with a rake? think it'd get the message across a bit better than an egg really. Serves him right for producing low quality products because he copied apple. The cheep thieving b*****d.

Edited by Dont you Just Hate it When...

it's not Bill Gate's fault - he hasn't written any code since the 80s

mr hippo is definitely on the right track, my webcam does this sort of thing all the time.

I'd advise uninstalling the drivers through command panel then plugging he camera into the furthest USB socket from the one it's currently plugged into. With any luck this will be on a different controller from the current USB socket which will force windows to have a proper think about drivers rather than just using the cached ones which don't work.

if it craps out and you find you have to reboot to make it work sometimes try disabling and re-enabling the device in device manager before rebooting