Sending Data Between Laptops

Sneakers O'Toole

Right heres the deal...

I'm swapping laptops with my dad so i want to send all my music, videos, work files and stuff over to his laptop so i can carry on from where i left off. Whats the best way to do it??? They are both on a wireless network if thats any help. Oh and how long am i looking at to transfer aboot 50gigs of crap?

Cheers

At a guess the fastest way you'll be able to at home is to plug the straight into the router, with Ethernet cables, that's how I got all the stuff off my desktop, probably took about an hour to fill the 40gig hard drive, but that was picking and choosing stuff in amongst it, it was sending albums way faster than I could pick which ones to send anyway. I'd say very roughly a gig a minute though judging from the larger items I sent over.

You should get 100Mbps which is pretty fast.

The quickest way would probably be connecting the two up with a firewire cable, that would be really fast. Next up is a wired network, that should be pretty quick too. Wireless is OK and it'll work, but it will take quite a lot longer. But if you just set the computer copying and go away for an hour, then it'll work just as well.

Are they already sharing on the network?

The quickest way would probably be connecting the two up with a firewire cable, that would be really fast. Next up is a wired network, that should be pretty quick too. Wireless is OK and it'll work, but it will take quite a lot longer. But if you just set the computer copying and go away for an hour, then it'll work just as well.

Are they already sharing on the network?

Probably the best way, make sure theyre both linked up to a small network then just put all the stuff into 1 folder and send all the stuff accross, i did 25GB in about 30 mins.. That was through my wifi.

The easiest way I know is using a 'Cross-over cable', It'll allow you to plug 2 laptops straight into each other and share files / an internet connection, Dont confuse it with a 'Network cable' which is used to connect a computer to a hub / switch / router. If theres already a wireless network set up between them it'd probably make more sense to use that.

The easiest way I know is using a 'Cross-over cable', It'll allow you to plug 2 laptops straight into each other and share files / an internet connection, Dont confuse it with a 'Network cable' which is used to connect a computer to a hub / switch / router. If theres already a wireless network set up between them it'd probably make more sense to use that.

You'll find a lot of modern network adaptors sense whether theres a crossover or patch cable being used and adjust as necessary so you might be able to use a direct connection with a standard network cable and get a full speed connection for quickest transfer speed. It's then just a matter of giving them static ip's one digit apart and copying the data accross.