Build Or Buy?

if you can build wheels, by all means go for it.

if you can't- don't even attempt it (Y)

so how do you learn to build them if you never try? just try building them, theres a guide by onzaboymark in the FAQ section in the members bit (i'll link later if you can't find it) it's really simple and if you cock it up you can always take it to a local bike shop, theres no harm in trying, you'd have to be hardcore retarded to actually break anything (Y)

so how do you learn to build them if you never try? just try building them, theres a guide by onzaboymark in the FAQ section in the members bit (i'll link later if you can't find it) it's really simple and if you cock it up you can always take it to a local bike shop, theres no harm in trying, you'd have to be hardcore retarded to actually break anything (Y)

watching other people is how i learned, and still after that i managed to 'egg' my rim and i had to get a new one

watching other people is how i learned, and still after that i managed to 'egg' my rim and i had to get a new one

how bad did you egg it :S you can stop eggs my loosening off/tightening spokes anyway.

really bad, i gave it to halfords and they said it was the worse 'egg' they had ever seen

Well then your a retard. If you tighten them all up the same amount then you'll get no egg at all and if your slightly out you'll get a tiny up and down movement. To actually egg it you must have sat there tightening some spokes at least 50% tighter than all the others, which is just retarded.

Don't tell people not to try things just because you had a bad experience. Learning to build wheels was one of the best things i've ever done with regards to bike mechanic work and my first one was pretty damn good. Not everyone will cock it up like you did.

Well then your a retard. If you tighten them all up the same amount then you'll get no egg at all and if your slightly out you'll get a tiny up and down movement. To actually egg it you must have sat there tightening some spokes at least 50% tighter than all the others, which is just retarded.

Don't tell people not to try things just because you had a bad experience. Learning to build wheels was one of the best things i've ever done with regards to bike mechanic work and my first one was pretty damn good. Not everyone will cock it up like you did.

no, after i managed to completly distroy my first wheel i learned from my mistakes, and i have made a couple of good wheels now. im just saying that if he's tight for money then it might be better to buy a pre made on rather that cock it up bigstyle and have to buy a new on anyway. im hardly a retard for sharing a experience.

no, after i managed to completly distroy my first wheel i learned from my mistakes, and i have made a couple of good wheels now. im just saying that if he's tight for money then it might be better to buy a pre made on rather that cock it up bigstyle and have to buy a new on anyway. im hardly a retard for sharing a experience.

I should bloody hope you did learn! If he's tight for money then its an even better idea to build it himself and save a tenner plus more expensive postage.

if you can build wheels, by all means go for it.

if you can't- don't even attempt it (Y)

as above, your best bet would be tarty's wheel builds

Chris

why say that your not even giving him chance to learn..why should he not try to build the wheel if you can build them then you must of tried it once upon a time!

dude rebuild your old wheel as practice anf then if you feel confident enough then build your new one (Y)

Edited by ned1

lace the spokes up to hub and rim if you can, without tightening and trueing.

takes quite a while but not really difficult.

Bike shops will then probs charge quite a lot less for the biuld.

Good for learning how to do it seen as you can't really do anything that can't be fixed if you get it wrong and also if your tight on cash.

I learnt by getting my dad to teach me. The actual building of the wheel s a peice of piss, getting the right spokes is hard, you can use tables of rims and hubs to guess but you just have to build it, then find out how much longer/shorter they need to be.

I have just done one for a mate, look HERE, I built and tensioned the rear wheel, my Dad just trued it exactly right but said I had got it almost exactly straight anyway. The front one is a Tarty build I think.

hi,

This all depends on how much you have to spend if you have a reasonable amount you should get a wheel built from tarty bikes which would be built to your specification and will look as you want it to look also tarty bikes are renown for great wheel builds.

Whereas if you don't have a great deal of money to spend you could just get a built up wheel but if you do this it wont be to your specification and wont stand out.

Also you could have a look around trials forum on the for-sale/wanted topics and see if anyone is selling any nice wheels. (if you not validated like me you could go on the persons profile and find out there msn address and talk to them over msn) (but not sure if your allowed to do that though you would have to check with a moderator but then again how would anyone know your talking to them over msn) getting wheels from trials forum could be an advantage as you can get a nice looking wheel for a smaller price.

I would save up and wait till you have a decent amount of money and work out what parts you want (ask on trials forum if you not sure about parts) and get tarty to build it.

Thats what i didn't do and now regret.

hope my post helps

Trixter

Just order them on tarty before tuesday and they will be dispatched as soon as they're built. A while ago (just before christmas) I bought this wheelset:

Rear wheel: -Gu fixed hub

-2007 echo rim

-Tarty spokes

-Tarty wheelbuild

Front Wheel: -Gu disk hub

-2007 Echo rim

-Tarty spokes

-Tarty wheelbuild

I found these wheels to be great until they got stolen along with the rest of that bike. If you can afford it then go for them, I think its around £250 for the pair.

hi,

This all depends on how much you have to spend if you have a reasonable amount you should get a wheel built from tarty bikes which would be built to your specification and will look as you want it to look also tarty bikes are renown for great wheel builds.

Whereas if you don't have a great deal of money to spend you could just get a built up wheel but if you do this it wont be to your specification and wont stand out.

Also you could have a look around trials forum on the for-sale/wanted topics and see if anyone is selling any nice wheels. (if you not validated like me you could go on the persons profile and find out there msn address and talk to them over msn) (but not sure if your allowed to do that though you would have to check with a moderator but then again how would anyone know your talking to them over msn) getting wheels from trials forum could be an advantage as you can get a nice looking wheel for a smaller price.

I would save up and wait till you have a decent amount of money and work out what parts you want (ask on trials forum if you not sure about parts) and get tarty to build it.

Thats what i didn't do and now regret.

hope my post helps

Trixter

wow nice first post!! keep them coming and you'll soon get validated.

i agree with getting the wheels hand built and with tarty you are guaranteed a decent wheel build.