For Sale - Welsh Spoon

crispyboy

For Sale - Ceramic Spoon with Wales written in centre and delightful picture of Welsh lady, lovely item.

To get this item you have to ..............

Compete in British Champs Round involving;

Travel to Wales approx 300 miles with family

Spend night in hotel

Get up early to travel to venue which has no facilities

Mum or dad must stand all day freezing cold observing section

Ride as hard as you can in rain and winds getting knackered and frozen

Ride as well as needed to get a podium place

In return you can have this lovely item valued at approx £1

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rach (Mrs Crispy)

PS If you can wait until the end of the championship you may be able to have a full set of cutlery

PPS Very good section just dissapointed with the "trophy" after all Ryans efforts

Perhaps you should ask your son to take up football or some other sport which has better funding.

No one forced you to bring your child, Isn't knowing that they ride better than any other kid of their age in the country good enough?

It's trials for christ sake, you should be grateful that you have so many differant competitions you can attend over there. In order to compete I'd have to get a passport, flights/boat, and then the travel expenses from then on would be a joke.

If it was organised shite then say so, but honestly what were you expecting??

Perhaps you should ask your son to take up football or some other sport which has better funding.

No one forced you to bring your child, Isn't knowing that they ride better than any other kid of their age in the country good enough?

It's trials for christ sake, you should be grateful that you have so many differant competitions you can attend over there. In order to compete I'd have to get a passport, flights/boat, and then the travel expenses from then on would be a joke.

If it was organised shite then say so, but honestly what were you expecting??

someones not happy lool

I am not comparing trials to football and don't really get the connection there, I am comparing yesterdays event to all the previous british rounds we have attended all of which have provided trophies.

I am not alone in my opinion of the "trophies" given yesterday and to be honest my comments were meant in jest mainly for the benefit of the other riders in attendance.

The fact that Ryan was given a ceramic spoon has nothing to do with lack of funding if it was I would not have commented as such.

From your comments you obviously do not attend the british rounds so as you have no idea what you are talking about I suggest you keep your comments to yourself.

oh dear oh dear

hows about the north wales bike trials crew's trip to blackpool. This resulted in:

- All of us getting up at 4:00 am and meeting at my house at 5:00. Bare in mind this meant a 30minute car journey for one lad

- Travelling to blackpool at such an early time with very little sleep. also not knowing where we're going

- Getting to blackpool 3 hours early....whoops.

- Whilst warming up, one of the lads snapped his bb and twisted his knee. This overstretched his knee tendons MEANING HE COULDN'T RIDE. £20 GONE, didn't even have a chance to try the sections.

- I had a bad case of nerves and 5'ed the first 4 sections embarrassingly

- After an exhausting day of poor trials I finished......14th. So instead of a spoon I got NOTHING. Do I complain? NO! because trials isnt about trophies and "what you win" and to be honest any sport shouldn't be about what you win.

I had a damn good day that day too. Even though I didn't get a sodding spoon, I dont care. I think its pathetic how you can complain that you feel hard done by because you or your son got something out of competition. Isn't knowing you've got a high place not good enough?

[quote name='PaRtZ' date='May 28 2007, 09:30 PM' post='1268417'

I had a damn good day that day too. Even though I didn't get a sodding spoon, I dont care. I think its pathetic how you can complain that you feel hard done by because you or your son got something out of competition. Isn't knowing you've got a high place not good enough?

Who ever said its the taking part that counts? Dont be such a cock about it... ffs trials as a sport is f**ked up as much as is poss atm i think so please just let it find its feet... spot crying about your sons spoon! (N)

oh dear oh dear

hows about the north wales bike trials crew's trip to blackpool. This resulted in:

- All of us getting up at 4:00 am and meeting at my house at 5:00. Bare in mind this meant a 30minute car journey for one lad

- Travelling to blackpool at such an early time with very little sleep. also not knowing where we're going

- Getting to blackpool 3 hours early....whoops.

- Whilst warming up, one of the lads snapped his bb and twisted his knee. This overstretched his knee tendons MEANING HE COULDN'T RIDE. £20 GONE, didn't even have a chance to try the sections.

- I had a bad case of nerves and 5'ed the first 4 sections embarrassingly

- After an exhausting day of poor trials I finished......14th. So instead of a spoon I got NOTHING. Do I complain? NO! because trials isnt about trophies and "what you win" and to be honest any sport shouldn't be about what you win.

how can u even compare the 2 trials lool!

ok well seeing as my reply got deleted (thanks for that: couldn't you have just edited out the 'insults' I threw about) I'll try and get my point across as simply as possible.

I compared trials to football because it's better funded, you don't get big prizes in sports which are not highly funded, prizes = money.

I don't attend the rounds because I can't, but that doesn't mean I 'have no idea what im talkign about'(but seems to mean I can't voice it on here). You don't tell a doctor they are wrong when they diagnose you with cancer because they havn't had it themselves do you?

Was there a podium there for anyone to stand on? or was it a case of there was one, just ryan didn't get the chance to stand on it?

I hope ryan doesnt use the forum.....

and tom's comment about the spoons being highly valued, will scottish rounds have prizes which are in some way related to scottish culture or something I actually think that a damned good idea, because it means the prizes are totally unique. I'd rather win a spoon than a trophy.

Have a watch of leaps and bounds, you'll see some of hans' trophies, one of which is a car wing mirror, literally taken from part of a section with a bit of marker wrote on it.

final edit: Do the organisers specify prizes will be given at these comps? do they specify what these prizes will be?

Edited by jake1516

ok well seeing as my reply got deleted (thanks for that: couldn't you have just edited out the 'insults' I threw about) I'll try and get my point across as simply as possible.

I compared trials to football because it's better funded, you don't get big prizes in sports which are not highly funded, prizes = money.

I don't attend the rounds because I can't, but that doesn't mean I 'have no idea what im talkign about'(but seems to mean I can't voice it on here). You don't tell a doctor they are wrong when they diagnose you with cancer because they havn't had it themselves do you?

Was there a podium there for anyone to stand on? or was it a case of there was one, just ryan didn't get the chance to stand on it?

I hope ryan doesnt use the forum.....

and tom's comment about the spoons being highly valued, will scottish rounds have prizes which are in some way related to scottish culture or something I actually think that a damned good idea, because it means the prizes are totally unique. I'd rather win a spoon than a trophy.

Have a watch of leaps and bounds, you'll see some of hans' trophies, one of which is a car wing mirror, literally taken from part of a section with a bit of marker wrote on it.

final edit: Do the organisers specify prizes will be given at these comps? do they specify what these prizes will be?

loool this topic is funny lol!!

ps. go rachel lol!

I apologise if I have upset anyone, and some of you do seem upset.

Ryan himself isn't that bothered about trophies but they are a symbol of his acheivements and as he is only 11 it would have been nice for him as it was his first British win, but in fact Ryan has grown to quite like his spoon and after all this I'm sure he will never forget when and where he got it whether it says it on it or not!

My Welsh neighbour has also told me that spoons are highly regarded items in Wales so apologies to the Welsh.

I apologise if I have upset anyone, and some of you do seem upset.

Ryan himself isn't that bothered about trophies but they are a symbol of his acheivements and as he is only 11 it would have been nice for him as it was his first British win, but in fact Ryan has grown to quite like his spoon and after all this I'm sure he will never forget when and where he got it whether it says it on it or not!

My Welsh neighbour has also told me that spoons are highly regarded items in Wales so apologies to the Welsh.

I personally don’t think an apology is needed. If I understand it right the spoon could be compared to a straw that someone has placed on the camels back. The bigger issues are the lack of facilities. People traveled far and wide, that’s what most people do for a lot of comps and to not have anywhere to toilet and eat in my opinion is disgraceful. People talk about child protection and all the bullshit politics that are now involved in the sport, well what a fantastic idea, let’s have no loos!

And if it was already known that suppliers wouldn’t supply toilets and burger vans to that venue than why have the trial there! CRAZY. The cost of entry to a trial is there to provide the necessities that are needed for such events. The trophies are incidental, and as the levy has been reduced this year I can see why the trophies might be cheap, but no loos.?

Quote from ukbiketrial…..

Aims and Objectives:

To encourage growth of the sport, and therefore youth involvement, by developing and enabling systems for new groups/clubs to embrace

To improve the quality of the BikeTrial sport in the UK

providing venues of a quality appropriate for British Championship standard

providing facilities appropriate for British Championship attention

providing awards suitable for British Championship level

To increase public interest and to raise media attention in order to encourage a growth of the importance of the sport in the UK

To enhance Britain's standing in the World ranking of BikeTrial

Something wasn’t right

But to top it off according John Peacock, there were no first aiders in attendance.

There are some serious issues surrounding the British championships this year (see Wayne’s post in trials chat).

I suggest if you aint happy you need to write to the powers that be i.e. EBU and BIU Japan.

I just think it's a bit pathetic coming from a parent. Would of thought they knew better.

Jake. I was at the trial on Sunday and to be quite honest I was gutted, so much so that if I hadn't driven 250 miles on Sat i would have turned around and gone home, but that would have been punishing Robbie for someone else's short comings.

What Rachel is saying (and don't forget the older we get the more sarcastic we become) is that to travel so far and it not to be a true spectacle, as was Hook Woods and Blackpool to name but 2 was a bit of a disgrace.

Ben savage rode section 9 and was the only one who got through so the observer changed the section so that every body got through, you tell me what is all that about? Even the only official there could not answer the question as to why the observer had done this. :blink:

Poor old Rachel had come all that way to marvel at her sons skills, yet she ended up having to observe 30 or so riders, she had no chance of a drink, food or toilet these are the very basics needed to run a prestigious event like a British round.

It is I agree not about the silver ware, but try telling that to a young lad who is wet, hungry, cold and no doubt busting for the loo, who has just ridden his little socks off all day.

Again i must point out that when running an event of this stature it has to be about continuity,we are all creatures of habbit and come to expect certain standards, what I mean by this is all the rounds should follow the same standard format I.E

First and foremost First Aid Thank god no one got hurt.

Scrutinising of machines( to eliminate any later squabbles )

Food or at least tell people that it won't be there

Toilets (at least for the fairer sex)

Fair observing

And maybe a little awards bit at the end even if it just for the little ones, after all they are the future of this very damaged sport.

Oh yes and not forgetting, some results would be nice, i am sick of telling Rob every day that the results from Hook Woods will be here soon.

JP

OK fair enough, as has been noted I havn't attened any of the rounds I appreciate that you john, and rugbyman have actually taken the time to explain what went on, rather than perpetuating all the BS which is going around regarding both set's of 'british championships' I think we can ALL agree that it's NOT good for the sport?

I do see her point, I think it's the way in which she tried to convey it which annoyed me, and I'll be the first to admit that I can't allways articulate myself as I would like to but the original post wasn't clear at all that there had been crap organisation, I did ask for further clarification regarding if is was organised crap, which resulted in me being told I had no idea what i was talking about........

Wasn't I the first one to ask if the organisation was crap? which seems to be the issue here............

at least it wasn't a wooden spoon. I hate being given that :P

as for my reply i apologise if i seemed too strong. but the only thing that winds me up more than sore losers is sore winners. having the ability to whup everyone else's ass and stil complain seemed crazy to me. Im sure the win was well deserved and stuff like this doesnt put ryan off in future (Y)