Onza Zoot - What Bars/stem?

Guantanamo

i'm thinking of buying an onza zoot. i've read the reviews i the forum and it says about replacing the stem and bars to get optimum setup. anybody recommend any particular bars and stem? what size rise etc? bearing in mind this is my first trials bike.

thanks in advance

adam

you should probably know i'm around 5'8"

this is the exact same problem I had with my Zoot.

I know this sounds mad but I ended up with a 180mm mod stem on mine and I liked that best, but I don't ride street much.

I found that the best stem for all round crap, was about 120mm stem with abot 17 degree rise with some riser bars.

Ebaystuff008.jpg

Matt

Edited by Matt Vandart

this is the exact same problem I had with my Zoot.

I know this sounds mad but I ended up with a 180mm mod stem on mine and I liked that best, but I don't ride street much.

I found that the best stem for all round crap, was about 120mm stem with abot 17 degree rise with some riser bars.

Ebaystuff008.jpg

Matt

(after furiously checking my shed).......Hey, post pictures of your own bloomin' bike next time Mr Vandart! :D heh heh.

Interesting post though Guantanamo, the bike you see above is now mine and Matt provided me with the original Zoot stem and a longer 120mm +6 degree rise stem. Now I'm not really experienced enough to tell you the benefits of either, but I may be right in suggesting a shorter stem for a more steet style (bunnyhops, manuals, spins) and a longer/higher rise stem for more 'Trialsy' moves (tgs). If any Zoot owners, 24" riders or such could expand or correct, that would be great! Oh and advice on riser bars as well please. (Y)

middleageman.

Edited by middleageman

was thinking of going with some zoo risers and the Trialtech sport forged stem (120x17) recommended earlier in the thread. would really appreciate some more input though, don't really want to cripple my first bike

thanks for your time lads

guantanamo

i apologize for sounding like a complete noob but... what size chain will the zoot run? looking for a single speed kit for the bike (i've bought one now should get it mid april) seen one i like but it says for 3/32" chain only. i'm used to bmx's witht their chunky great chains.

thanks in advance

guantanamo

i apologize for sounding like a complete noob but... what size chain will the zoot run? looking for a single speed kit for the bike (i've bought one now should get it mid april) seen one i like but it says for 3/32" chain only. i'm used to bmx's witht their chunky great chains.

thanks in advance

guantanamo

if you need a 3/32" chain i recommend. Echo Sl yaban Chain , I'm running one on my bike here is a link just incase you are intrested in it http://www.selectbikes.com/index.php?act=v...p;productId=281

if you need a 3/32" chain i recommend. Echo Sl yaban Chain , I'm running one on my bike here is a link just incase you are intrested in it http://www.selectbikes.com/index.php?act=v...p;productId=281

says single speed only, what about running it with a sprung chain tensioner?

thanks

guantanamo

(after furiously checking my shed).......Hey, post pictures of your own bloomin' bike next time Mr Vandart! :D heh heh.

Interesting post though Guantanamo, the bike you see above is now mine and Matt provided me with the original Zoot stem and a longer 120mm +6 degree rise stem. Now I'm not really experienced enough to tell you the benefits of either, but I may be right in suggesting a shorter stem for a more steet style (bunnyhops, manuals, spins) and a longer/higher rise stem for more 'Trialsy' moves (tgs). If any Zoot owners, 24" riders or such could expand or correct, that would be great! Oh and advice on riser bars as well please. (Y)

middleageman.

pretty much hit the nail on the head, altho i run a 100x15 degree rise zoo stem on my 24" but it has a "traditional" no seat trials geo, rides nice for all round stuff, would be better for "propper trials" moves with a higer stem, but im learning spins n stuff so it all good for me.

EDIT: im also running old style zoo! bars :)

plus 10mm of stem spacers/stackers

Edited by ding_dong

10mm of stackers, a Pazzaz 120mmx20* stem and Pazzaz Carbon Risers (not sure on rise... between 1.5" and 2" though).

This is with Echo HiFi forks.

You'll want to replace the pedals pretty quick. Before the stem and bars - I reckon. The front end isn't TOO bad - I quite liked it, and I'm 5'8".

The pedals - however - are quite slippy, and absolutely destroy your shins.

Tyres are a bit heavy, too. Very good, though.

Good choice in bike - I bloody love mine.

EDIT: This is for a fairly TGS oriented setup. If you want to ride streety trials like Danny Mac, you'll want a higher stem, and even more rise.

For this - I'd advise NOT going for an oversized stem clamp. High rise bars in OS 31.8 clamps are uncommon, and never have enough rise.

Edited by aener

decided on the trialtech sport 120x17*. looking at a few different bars though anyone had any experiance of them? they are-> pazzaz riser, GU riser and the viz maxbar.

how do i go about setting them up once i have them?

thanks

guantanamo

decided on the trialtech sport 120x17*. looking at a few different bars though anyone had any experiance of them? they are-> pazzaz riser, GU riser and the viz maxbar.

how do i go about setting them up once i have them?

thanks

guantanamo

cancel that, i'll be going for thtrialtech sport stem and the trialtech sport riser bars. if anybody wants to make any comments about the setup, please feel free to.

thanks

adam

Rise, rise rise. That's what makes a streety bike. My stem is maybe 35deg and 100mm long, and my bars are at about 48deg from the point of the steerer clamp and they're about 3" of rise.

You can really feel the difference when you hit a setup that bunnyhops well. It's lovely :wub:

As for a more TGS style, I don't know. Frankly, I don't understand how you can make a bike not bunnyhop well and it still ride well, so in essence my answer to a TGS setup is, who gives a crap? It IS a 24" after all :P