Rowlly's noobie mtb questions thread

Rowlly21

Right guys,

Got myself some padded trousers which are great hopefully ordering a charge spoon soon as I am still getting a sore arse.

been out for a good distance ride today but strugled with shit off the front tyre going in my face, what do you guys do to prevent this happening ?

Also what do u where on the top half of your body ? I was wearing a nylony tee shirt but I got abit cold.

also I found that the wind got in my ears alot on the down hills which isnt great for myself as I get regular ear infections which can be triggerd by this, are there any ear plugs or caps that you can get to prevent this ?

Many thanks

I usually just wear a tee, but now it's cold I wear a base layer from decathlon (only about 6-7 quid) with my IXS thin coat. Plenty warm enough and water proof incase I get caught out.

Mud in your face - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mucky-Nutz-Bender-Fender-Mudguard/dp/B00BYR67ZK All I run and I don't have a seconds trouble.

As the sore arse, it goes in time. It'll be better with your padding but it takes time to work up the immunity.

The ear thing I can't help you with, I usually ride with earphones in anyway so never noticed it to be honest, try butchering an old set of in ear phones if that's possible?

Padded shorts are designed to do a job and protect certain areas. Wearing boxers or whatever adds seams and pressure points which means the padded shorts can't do their thing properly.

Never done this in the 8 years I've used them... Always heard this though. Will give it a go next time I'm out!

Just a normal tee shirt or a specific MTB one ?

Don't wear a normal T-shirt when riding, really, don't. If you're not sweating when MTBing you're probably not trying hard enough, however even so in the winter there's going to be a lot of moisture in the air and it will rain, and a normal cotton T-shirt just doesn't cut it. They're quick to get wet, they hold water like a camel and they get heavy. It's so uncomfortable to ride in a wet T-shirt, even if you put a base layer underneath it'll just collect the moisture being wicked by the base layer. Ride in a proper top that has wicking properties as you'll be far warmer, much drier and just generally more comfortable.

If you can justify it I'd definitely recommend a merino base layer. I've just bought a few and made the switch from synthetic and the difference is night and day. They are much, much warmer but at the same time regulate your heat much better so you don't overheat. They don't stink and will last much longer. The Endura Baa-Baa base layer is particularly good.

• Like 2

Thanks for that,

I didnt quite grasp what you where over you base layer ?

Thanks

It really depends on the temperature and how warm you get. At this time of year I always wear a base layer and on a milder day i'll just wear a normal short sleeved MTB riding top. Here's a generic top that's popular: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fox-racing-demo-jersey-black-yellow-ss14/rp-prod124187 but it's also able to wick the sweat away but it just adds a layer to keep you that bit warmer. If it's colder still a long sleeved version can be good as your forearms get quite cold if you're giving it the beans downhill.

If it's really cold (but dry) I use a windproof gilet: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-windchill-ii-gilet/rp-prod91340 (not the best looking thing) as this keeps your core warm and is noticeably warmer than just wearing a top. As it's wind stopping none of the chill effects you and all the heat you generate stays in (whilst still wicking sweat). It leaves your arms free (which I like) so you feel less restricted than wearing a jacket and it also lets any excess heat out. As you've no organs in your arms they don't get nearly as cold as your body so I find the gilet a really useful addition.

If it's exceptionally cold and/or raining then it's time for a jacket. Get a fully waterproof one for the miserable days but there's always an inevitable amount of over heating as they're less breathable. If it's light rain then I use something that keeps it off but allows a bit more air flow, I personally use this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ixs-sinister-3-5-bc-jacket-2014/rp-prod113285

Cheers for that matthew62 really helpful. I have orderd a base layer and a short sleeved top that should keep me going for now.

Next on the list sounds like a decent water proof and a longsleeved shirt.

Infact do you a think a long sleeved motorcross jersey will do the trick or do I need something abit thicker ?

Buzzing to go out on another ride now !!

Cheers for that matthew62 really helpful. I have orderd a base layer and a short sleeved top that should keep me going for now.

Next on the list sounds like a decent water proof and a longsleeved shirt.

Infact do you a think a long sleeved motorcross jersey will do the trick or do I need something abit thicker ?

Buzzing to go out on another ride now !!

In the case of Fox clothing the MTB and MotoX stuff is pretty similar weight wise. Should be good for now.

Edited by Matthew62