Update!

DYAKOV

Hi there,
Currently I am working on my last uni project which would best describe as the 'ultimate bicycles related venue'. It consists of:
Main reception within a Retail space located on the ground floor;
Bicycles cafe and 5 rooms for shared Accommodation on the first floor;
and a Workshop area + Riding spot in the basement
of the world's first multistorey motor garage on 24 Vinicombe str in Glasgow. My project would be rather conceptual as probably none of my ideas will be applied into reality but I would like to make it as realistic as possible. Here are my concerns related to the existing structure. The basement ceiling height is 2700mm which automatically excludes any higher ramps as an option for my 'bike park'. After consultation with a structural engineer I managed to make voids in the ceiling where height would no longer bother my work but the overall track proposal should be quite low. As my building is A-listed (which means almost no structural alterations are allowed) and there is a main supporting structure running below the floor slab - digging into the ground is also forbidden. I did my best to design a mini park in the space but am not sure if it would work at all (cause it looks quite ambitious for the space) and if it does - would it be fun to ride.. I also spoke to one of my friends who rides bmx and the guy suggested using some boxes and low rails rather than pipes, pyramids etc.. I was considering an indoors pump track as an option but am not sure if it would be of any interest to potential riders.. Could you please share any initial thoughts or any general advice that I need to know when I plan such installation? I can also provide with a section and a floor plan if needed.

These are some inspirations to illustrate my ideas for the moment:
Should it be more abstract
648fa961267a1c0f5a0a7a919f376c49_zpsqfwhb1ab1dd3eb64196beafcf191167daddd_zpsikzf

Or something busier of this kind

Rays-Indoor-MTB-MKE-mtb_riders_zpsa5hf7wb963a8eab649eba99e04df618aa9f9ac_zpsdc2w

I guess apart from some flatlanders not my riders would be interested to ride in there having nothing but a few rails, so it might be focused towards teaching commuters how to deal with some small obstacles..
Anyways, please share your views on that! Any opinion and comment matter!

Thank you very much for the attention!

Edited by naset000kzk
  • Like 1

Sounds like an idea but most of the roof is arched glass&metal glazing structure.. The rest which is actually solid and flat houses my lift machinery (motor) room and would not be spacious enough anyway. Thanks though!

What are the heights of all the different levels? Does the basement have the highest ceiling level?

Glasgow has a large number of buildings where the ground level has high ceilings....so is it possible to switch that 'riding spot' to the ground floor, and put a shop / mechanics space downstairs instead?

Edited by ben_travis
  • Like 1

Cheers Ben,
The ground level has a 3500 ceiling height which would work better but there're also other criteria to consider when planning the whole thing and this seems to be the best option to suit all other issues. I was just wondering if anyone could suggest some low types of rails/ramps or anything low basically that would be fun to ride. I guess as it is not central to my project, nobody would really expect a completed redbull rampage bikepark and second, the low ceiling would eventually urge me to come up with some a bit more unusual/eccentric idea (apparently aesthetics are highly appreciated amongst designers' society over functionality) :)

I need a moto for my project and am struggling with this, so will need some help. 3 words starting with B Y K and needs to be bikes/cycling/sports related. Something like 'Boost Your K....?' The last word could start with a C and be spelled with a K no matter if it's not correct, so B Y C/K
Мисля мото на новия си проект и ми трябва помощ! Три думи, на английски, започващи с B Y K, които да са на спортна тематика. Нещо надъхващо, ама не мога да го измисля. Последната дума може да започва със С, нищо че ще има правописна грешка. Мерси!

Boost your kinetics or kinasthetics (thats learning by doing somthing rather than hearing about it or reading about it.

Because you CAN!!!!!!!

Boom! Thanks guys, that kinaesthetics idea is a killer and I don't need to misspell the last word! Dan's proposition, on the other hand, is what I was actually thinking on the lines of - something simple that everybody can understand and motivational in a very subjective way.

Cheers!