Decent TGS Mod for sub £500

Joe Sheehan

So yeah, decided to pick up trials again to keep fit. I think I want a mod this time, I've always had stock and enjoyed it, but I want something different (and easier) to ride. Browsing through the forums I feel quite out of touch with trials now, seems there are many new brands since 4 odd years ago when I last was riding! What would I be looking at to buy? Ideally I'd like to be spending £350-400 but money speaks volumes with trials. What are the brands to go with and avoid? Can anybody recommend something (and somewhere) to buy a decent rig? I want something that will ride urban/street nicely as I'm way more inclined to TGS than any kind of natural riding, so maybe something long with a high BB rise.

The only decent bike I've seen is a Zhi ZM3 on ebay so far, seems the market is scarce! Is something along those lines any good?

Cheers (Y)

Joe f**king She-man.

Get on the classifieds here, seems to be a fairly decent turnover of bikes and parts still. I'm equally out of touch though, but that owes mostly to my militant street-or-nothing mentality.

Cheers fellas! I'm going to Hove tomorrow to look at an Aorta mod. It's got an Avid XT hydro front disc, will that be pony?

Also Matt, you down that way still? I'll bring it by and you can have a poke at it!

Cheers fellas! I'm going to Hove tomorrow to look at an Aorta mod. It's got an Avid XT hydro front disc, will that be pony?

Also Matt, you down that way still? I'll bring it by and you can have a poke at it!

Yeah i'm still here for a couple more months, give me a shout if you're down!

What's the spec of the Aorta? Those frames were quite nice.

I can't use forums properly...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/251876548219260/

There's a GU mod with ok specs for £350 on this group.

Cheers bro! I've requested an add so I will have a ganders.

Yeah i'm still here for a couple more months, give me a shout if you're down!

What's the spec of the Aorta? Those frames were quite nice.

Sweet! Looks like it's gonna happen, I need pedals though.. Are DMR V8/12's still the item of choice?

I don't know if they did long or short Aorta's, but its mostly Monty kit. This is a direct copy from the ad:

Hope pro 2 front hub

Monty front rim

Monty eagle front tyre

Avid xo front brake with hope rotor

Monty stem

Monty bars

Monty cranks

Magura hs33 rear brake raceline newer shape lever.

Echo clamp.

Monty rear hub

Try all rear rim

Monty eagle rear tyre

Seems like it'll do the job. I've got an Avid BB7 laying around so if the front disc is pony I can whip that on. It's pretty cheap so I wont mind spending a bit of bunse on it to get it up to scratch! Hoping the driveline is decent too.

Edited by Joe Sheehan

Use whatever in terms of pedals, i've used some of the newer-style thin platforms and really like them (had the Inspired Teams, and got some Nukeproofs on the new bike which seem to be very similar if not identical) - would recommend that kinda thing for sure.

• Like 1

Use whatever in terms of pedals, i've used some of the newer-style thin platforms and really like them (had the Inspired Teams, and got some Nukeproofs on the new bike which seem to be very similar if not identical) - would recommend that kinda thing for sure.

I had to buy some before I went down there to make sure it rode OK, got some DMR V8's that will do the job for now, but as they degrade I will give those a whirl! Thanks dude!

Thought about a Marino custom build to your specific geometry requirements, then source a mix of 2nd hand and new parts?

Andrew Chai, has pretty sweet looking Marino mod build.

I didn't even know that was a thing to be honest! I think I will stick with this Aorta for a while and see where my limits are with it. But that Marino idea does sound good!

(had the Inspired Teams, and got some Nukeproofs on the new bike which seem to be very similar if not identical)

They're the same basic pedal, but just a slightly different pin configuration on the Inspired ones. Both of them are really good though, up until I put some fresh V12s on they were definitely my pedal of choice. The new V12s are super good though! Found some places doing them on sale from time to time too so you can generally get them for a bit less than the Nukeproof Neutron pedals.