DeersSlayer

Old new rider, limited winter space, practice what?

13 posts in this topic

I received my first trials bike (a new Inspired Flow Plus 24 with hydraulic disc brakes) a week ago. Couldn't find any used trials bikes locally, they're not popular here (Ottawa, Canada.) Not really sure yet what my goals are with the trials bike, just learn and have fun I suppose. So I have a new bike, but winter arrived early and strong here (98 cm snow so far, 43 cm snowpack currently.) I've managed to clear a 9 or 10' wide 15' long space in the heated (+ 3 C) garage, and I'm trying to learn small side hops and improve my trackstand skill in that small space. Not really enough space to consider going up on the back wheel. Anything else I could try until winter breaks? (another 3+ months!) I've read just about everything on trashzen, the theory there seems sound. ;-)

I started 2016 owning only 1 bicycle (older Norco hybrid), now I have 4! This year I rode 600 or 700 km on the hybrid, 2,800 km on a full suspension mountain bike, and only about 70 km so far on the winter fat tire bike (lots of soft crashing on snow!) I'm having a late-life bicycle crisis. :-) Prior to this year most of my 2-wheel riding has been on motorcycles (30 years worth.)

Try doing front wheel hops if you can't go on the rear wheel. I suppose the reason why you can't do it is because the garage is too low.

Fakie's, turning around on the spot, moving side to side with front and rear wheel pivots.  Its all good.

Fakie's, turning around on the spot, moving side to side with front and rear wheel pivots.  Its all good.

Yes, the garage is a little low as the door opener motor is right above the middle of the cleared space. Although I'm only 5' 7", that helps. Fakies, turning around on the spot, is a great idea. That alone will probably take me 3+ months to learn. ;-)

Tire pressure:  The Maxxis Holy Roller sidewalls say 35 - 65 lb, I'm using 35. As a trials newbie, should I use more? Less?

Here's the garage clearing, with lots of other stuff on the sides. The floor is asphalt, slightly sloping down to the door. (I hope it's OK to embed a pic here. I'm new to the forum, and the pics give a better idea of the limited floor space and height.)

garageClearing.jpggarageClearingLandscape.jpg

Nice colour on the flow. Might be best to have the tyres pretty firm as that's how you need to run them on a street trials to stop pinch punctures so to my mind, practice with how you will use them. I run mine at 3 bar (whatever that is in psi) but think some guys run them with more.

6 hours ago, Daviesdt said:

... I run mine at 3 bar (whatever that is in psi) but think some guys run them with more.

3 bar = 43.5 psi. I'll bump mine up to 44.

Out on the fat tire bike today I was running 9 psi and it was too much. I dropped it down to about 7 psi for better snow grip.

My forearms are getting a good workout as I'm new to both snow riding and trials, and my forearms were already quite strong. I'm likely over griping on both bikes.

Fat bikes are made for low psi, used to run low psi on my motocross cross bike in the mud, get better grip. Street trials is quite high psi due to the need for low rolling resistance and sharp edges, if you ride rocks and stuff though natural trials, you may want to drop the pressure a bit so the tyre moulds to the surface a bit better, it's all personal pref really.

If your arms are getting pumped from gripping, either fat bike or trials, you are holding on way to hard, try and relax and loosen up slightly, will improve bike control.

That's a lot of space to practice on. How high is the ceiling?

The door opener motor has 7' clearance, the ceiling about 8.5'. I'm 5' 10" to top of helmet. Pedals in flat horizontal position are about 2' up from the floor when on the back wheel. So the minimum needed without any hop is almost 8'. I would want at least 9'.

1 person likes this

If I was you I would be out on skis/snowboard playing in the snow but maybe the novety has wore off for you by now!

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, Explosifpete said:

If I was you I would be out on skis/snowboard playing in the snow but maybe the novety has wore off for you by now!

I do get out and play on the snow too, I love being outdoors.

1 person likes this

I live in an old industrial city so there is lots of abandoned buildings/ empty wharehouses ......contact the owner more often than not they will let you use them