Old new rider, limited winter space, practice what?

DeersSlayer

Battleship. Definitely! Think my full suss is same weight as my inspired and it's a much bigger bike, which kinda shows how tough inspired bikes are, found it hard to learn on as a result though which is why I got an echo 24. That thing is feather light. Getting used to the element now though, think when the new four play comes out may be time to upgrade.

Weight doesn't really matter in our level of riding. As I said before. I can do the same things on my inspired that I could do on my stock, which was about 3.5kgs lighter. 

+ I have much more fun in the street rig which is way more versatile.

1 hour ago, niconj said:

Weight doesn't really matter in our level of riding. As I said before. I can do the same things on my inspired that I could do on my stock, which was about 3.5kgs lighter. 

+ I have much more fun in the street rig which is way more versatile.

It's going to take me a long time to find out which one I like better. I like having both as some things seem easier to learn on the street, some easier on the comp. Practice and patience. And definitely try track stands on all my bikes, every time I ride!

3 hours ago, DeersSlayer said:

It's going to take me a long time to find out which one I like better. I like having both as some things seem easier to learn on the street, some easier on the comp. Practice and patience. And definitely try track stands on all my bikes, every time I ride!

Track standing is the one thing that is pretty easy to do on all bikes. ;) As I said, I figured that I didn't improve quick enough, switching back and forth between bikes.

1 hour ago, Daviesdt said:

But in the meantime you figured out which bike and style of riding was right for you.

True I guess. I think switching back and forth with looong sequences on either bike, makes you an overall better rider. After hefting around the tank I would really like to know how my gaps have improved. I can pretty much gap as far as I could with the stock bike on my Inspired now. Would be interesting to see the gap distance on a light stock bike now.

• Like 2

The thing I found with the stock is it acted as a stepping stone for me, always wanted to aim for the street trials but was struggling to progress from scratch, couldn't figure out back wheel balance point most of all and crawling Around was hard. Had the stock which eased me into things to the point where I have recently got back on the inspired and while not brilliant, things are making way more sense and starting to come along. I actually find that the inspired is making trials on my full suss make sense, ok, not exact Danny and wee day out making sense but I can stand my MTB up on the back wheel now and hop around a bit, manuals too on my MTB. That was one of the reasons I started trials was to get better at mtb but as a side effect, I actually really like riding trials now! I agree at some point you have to just pick one and train it but in terms of early development if one bike is easier to do something on than the other, learn it on that bike then transfer it to the other when you understand it better. It's all small steps I guess, especially at the beginning.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On April 28, 2017 at 8:51 AM, niconj said:

Track standing is the one thing that is pretty easy to do on all bikes. ;) 

And just this week, after 5+ months, track stands are becoming easy. I can now track stand on the comp and the street in my garage for about a minute. Not as long on the MTB, but that's improving too. Relaxing and confidence seems to work for me.

My ultimate goal is still to be able to bunny hop on my MTB, so it's time to learn how to manual. Just need to find an out of the way gentle downhill slope. I'll probably wear my enduro moto protection mesh overshirt: chest, elbow, shouder, and and full length spine pad. Because I can never look too dorky....

• Like 2

Getting there then dude. Small steps is what it is all about, did some fun Street trials stuff on my MTB last weekend, mostly because i punctured my last tube for my inspired, but it was stuff I probably would not have considered a year ago on an MTB, one thing feeds into another and makes you an all round better rider. If bunny hopping an MTB is your aim then yeah, get comfortable with at least a short manual and take it from there.

• Like 1