Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cwtrials

Shimano Crankset - Saints vs SLX vs ZEE

7 posts in this topic

I'm setting up a trials bike without trials specific cranks for the first time since power pro cranks on my brisa, and honestly haven't really been paying attention to the MTB tech scene since it changes every 3.2 minutes.  Trading a frame for a rear hope hub for this setup.

Can anyone explain the different between Saint, SLX, and Zee cranks?  Obviously Zee is budget friendly, but is there much of a difference?  SLX is lighter, but not as strong?  I found a good deal on some SLX cranks with bottom bracket in a 22/32/40 combo, compatible with a 104 bcd bashring I have and was thinking of giving that a go.

Edited by cwtrials

Personally speaking if the SLX fit your bike I would get them. Certainly for MTb SLX is a good level of group set and they are pretty much compatible to the XT group set. What bottom bracket do you run?

The Zee won't fit as they don't have small chainring mounting options, neither do the modern Saints (you'd have to find an older set). The SLX are great cranks and unless you're hucking massive drops they'll be plenty strong enough.

I'd also recomment the Sram Eagle GX cranks...light, stiff and strong (cheap too) plus you can use the Inspired one piece bash and sprocket to neaten everything up.

11 hours ago, Daviesdt said:

What bottom bracket do you run?

The one I was looking at buying comes with a BB70.

11 hours ago, Daviesdt said:

That is a bit helpful thanks!

8 hours ago, Ali C said:

The Zee won't fit as they don't have small chainring mounting options, neither do the modern Saints (you'd have to find an older set). The SLX are great cranks and unless you're hucking massive drops they'll be plenty strong enough.

I'd also recomment the Sram Eagle GX cranks...light, stiff and strong (cheap too) plus you can use the Inspired one piece bash and sprocket to neaten everything up.

Thanks for the opinion!  I do drops I consider big (8'), but I know that's not really huge compared to what you're doing lol.  I'll look into the SRAM cranks, thanks for the info!

Slight deviation would I be likely to encounter any issues using an External BB crank set up with a fixed hub and FW set up on the back?

Finally got my Marino in.  Sadly there is no way to make the SLX cranks clear the chainstays, even with axle spacers.  I had it made with a 73mm BB shell, so I can't really use BB spacers.  Ugh.  Looking into other options.  Anybody up to buy a brand new pair of SLX cranks with basguard? lol