Base Ta 26

Endohopper

Having bought a BASE TA26 a while ago , I was dissapointed when it soon developed a fracture where the right seatstay meets the seat tube . I soon read on from other BASE owners on this forum that they had encountered similar failures , even if carefully maintained and not ridden ridiculously .

I contacted the supplier , who asked me to submit photographs , and on the basis of those , send the damaged section for inspection . I must say I nearly shed a tear when it came to cutting up my beloved frame :"> .

gallery_3439_423_108345.jpg

But it was then that I noticed the differing wall thickness of the seat tube , as shown in diagram A :

gallery_3439_423_137038.jpg

Note the difference in wall thickness at the driveside compared to the left side of the seat tube . ( yes poor photo , but visible nonetheless.) This must be the reason that a lot of 2005 TA26 s are failing in exactly this spot . Shame , really because this an otherwise excellent frame . Ah , well ... here's hoping for a swift replacement .

Edited by Endohopper

Gutted.

I guess the problem arises that Base is a cheap frame in comparison to other frames on the market, and because of this the frames probably don't undergo the same level of quality control.

Also since they are made abroad it's likely that the chappies at Base don't check exactly all the fine details of the frame as it's being made.

Maybe sloppy measurements too.. dunno.

I'm also wondering, maybe it is intentionally thinner to save a wee bit of weight becasue there is more strain on the right hand seatstay? Or rather, the right hand chainstay (driveside) is made thicker to compensate for the.. well, drive!

Gutted.

I guess the problem arises that Base is a cheap frame in comparison to other frames on the market, and because of this the frames probably don't undergo the same level of quality control. 

What about echo frames with the brake mounts welded on wrong though :unsure:

Apparently they are much strongere there and don't crack as quick or at all if you run a proper seatpost, so I've been told.

yup ive herd that too :unsure:

endohopper: did you ever ride that bike?!?! it looks mint :P goddamn im scared my base will crack now :(

i presume you didnt send the whole frame cos of the postage cost issue? being from holland and all...

but still, i would of rather welded it personally, such a waste of a frame :P and a damn fine one too (Y)

Ha Ha , nice one , Pythonrider :

QUOTE :"Ultra weight saving option you went for there.

Personally I would have drilled my rims or somthing?"

Any ideas on warranty replacements from Bikedock ? Gary ( Trials Dept.) seems very helpful , and I've generally been very impressed / satisfied with their service thus far . Might cost a bit sending a frame to Holland , though . Wasn't entirely clear about to whom the postage costs will be charged , the shop or me , as a customer .

Any experiences with warranty replacements from Bikedock ?

Edited by Endohopper

Ha Ha , nice one , Pythonrider :

QUOTE :"Ultra weight saving option you went for there.

Personally I would have drilled my rims or somthing?"

Any ideas on warranty replacements from Bikedock ? Gary ( Trials Dept.) seems very helpful , and I've generally been very impressed / satisfied with their service thus far . Might cost a bit sending a frame to Holland , though . Wasn't entirely clear about to whom the postage costs will be charged , the shop or me , as a customer .

Any experiences with warranty replacements from Bikedock ?

Should think you would have to pay P+P but im sure it will be worth it for a new frame?

I might go take a saw/angle grinder to my old onza...See how much weight I can save, and still be rideable (N)"

Tom

I had to send my frame back to bikedock when i first got it because the thread was a we bit out and i couldn't fit a bottom bracket into it. lbs couldn't re thread it either. i had to pay for the postage there and they charged me for the postage back as well. mines still going strong though. i'm pleased they're nice about replacing them. if mine fails it'll go back..... :(

by the way how old is yours?

sorry ur frameless at the minute. :blink:

best contact for base if you want to deal direct and be more helpful faster is the follwing number:

01723 507332 and thats Bike-It from scarborough they are the UK importer of base if you have direct quiries that you want replacing faster than going back to ireland etc theres your number :blink:

Waynio.......................

there very helpful @ Bike-It best person to speak to is Roy as he is the main guy.

Thanks , Waynio . Too late unfortunately , as Bikedock have already recieved the cut out section . I suppose a phone call thanking Bike-It in advance and supplying any further information they may need wouldn't do any harm though . This whole being bikeless vibe is beginning to make me realise still more how much I value being able to ride , and having the freedom to do so when I choose .

Patience . . .