Brake Slipping

bousfield19

hi everyone i have a hs33 on the rear with a deep ground rim i am running the koxx brown pads and i have done a fresh water bleed but my rear brake keeps slipping when pedal hopping

anyone got any ideay why this is happening?

any help would be greatly appreciated

many thanks jamie

pads are brand new bought yesterday.

spent about hour yesterday stripping it down and bleedin them in the bath making sure it was totally air free

and spent bout 30 mins setting them up yesterday

i will try to re bleed them today and see if there might be an air lock somewhere

the thing is most of the time it works and locks fine but then every now and again just as i am starting to trust it again it just gives out and i end up on my ass lol

Edited by bousfield19

i dont know how many grinds its had as i have only just got the bike

i have just re ground the rim as it had what looked like tar on it as well so i have cleaned that off cleaned my pads off and re bled the system with water and re set it all up and now it seems to be working but im off for a ride now so will let you know if the problem still exists

thanks for all your help

jamie

white spirt the rim, get all the crap off the rim, file to new material on pads, regring, tar, sorted (Y)

you dont need tar.

if he's just put a new grind on it doesnt need cleaning.

just thought, maybe the pads need to be bed in some more? how long have you riden on them?

i know its sounds stupid but how many grinds has that rim had?

my bmf went all shitty after the last time i ground it..

Please tell me you weren't trying to imply that the brake gets worse after your rims been ground a few times. Thats just retarded.

I think the solution is pretty clear. Get some sandpaper and just take the edge off your grind a bit. I'll bet you've given a nice beasty deep grind... which can give a good hold, but get some force behind it and it'll shave material off your pads rather than letting them grip. Sandpaper the edge off, only needs a little rub all the way round the rim and i'm pretty sure you'll find your pads get their act together.

• set the pads up square to the rim
  • make sure they both hit the rim at the same time
  • set them up as close as possible without them rubbing
  • make sure they are clean and worn strait
  • adjust the tpa all the way off so that the pads are sitting as far into the slave cylinder as possible.
  • grind the rim in the same direction on both sides (anticlockwise)

Please tell me you weren't trying to imply that the brake gets worse after your rims been ground a few times. Thats just retarded.

no, i was trying to say that my bmf was flexing over and making my brake shit because it had too many grinds.

well doing the regrind and sanding the new pads as well as the water bleed has made a load of difference.

The rear brake is really grippy now . thanks for all the help.

I have just had a nice ride with a couple of mates and my god im aching all over serves me right for not riding for 3 years

pads are brand new bought yesterday.

spent about hour yesterday stripping it down and bleedin them in the bath making sure it was totally air free

and spent bout 30 mins setting them up yesterday

i will try to re bleed them today and see if there might be an air lock somewhere

the thing is most of the time it works and locks fine but then every now and again just as i am starting to trust it again it just gives out and i end up on my ass lol

If pads were bought brand new yesterday they're bound not to work as pads need a beading in time! pads roughly take 3 to 5 days of riding before they perform 100%.

If pads were bought brand new yesterday they're bound not to work as pads need a beading in time! pads roughly take 3 to 5 days of riding before they perform 100%.

it took my plazzies a minute to bed in

took my phat pads about 5 minutes to bed in.

don't know where you got 3 to 5 days from.

Depends what pads your running! its obvious that plasmatics are going to bed in within a day, because they only last about a month.

3-5 days on a smooth rim

rims with a grind OK maby 2 days.

koxx browns are a harder material to them, therefore take longer to bed in

but dont go dragging your brake constantly,

just go down a hill and pull it on off, if you get me. dont drag it all the way down...

Depends what pads your running! its obvious that plasmatics are going to bed in within a day, because they only last about a month.

3-5 days on a smooth rim

rims with a grind OK maby 2 days.

plazzies last about 6 months

phat pads are a hard compound and don't take long to bed in.

I would not listen to them all you need to do really is clean down your rim and use a bit of tar making sure you spread it the whole way round your rim then it should be fine lol.

from mitch.

tar? wtf?

grind ***

tar ftl

simple as, tar is used when you cant afford decent pads.