Avid Spares

Onza Kieron

Right, snapped the springy bit of my ultimate so I need a spring kit, I found it on the dealers site and I wanna know somewhere I can get one. I have called at Halfords and a mate there is calling Avid up tomorrow but failing that, I will be needing one elsewhere.

This is IT

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/95.531...eb_Sramdocs.pdf

Its on page 7, part number 2, 11.5311.708.000

I'm off to france on friday and would love to have my Ultimate back on for then so please, if anyone knows..

Halfords should be able to order you in one from Fisher. (Y) (If they're a carried spare)

When I needed a new bar clamp for my Ultimate lever, which isn't a spare part they stock, I phoned up Sram USA, (who own avid), and they sent two of them straight to fisher, who sent them to me free of charge. :)

Trust me, fishers i wouldnt say are the "best" company to carry stock on anything. they hardly ever have stock on Sram, Avid as it is so popular you may find you have to order it and it be on back order for a few weeks. just thought i would pre- warn you.

Wayne.

try getting hold of an SD5,SD7? or even Arch rival?

iv got somewhere at home a FULL set of Arch Rival 4 i think, there a couple of years old BUT still brand new, with SD7 levers, you can have the lot for £70.00 including postage, thats front and rear with front and rear levers. OR i think i may have some SD5/7's cant remember which, but they will be brand new and maybe £50.00 (Y):)

Wayne.

try getting hold of an SD5,SD7? or even Arch rival?

iv got somewhere at home a FULL set of Arch Rival 4 i think, there a couple of years old BUT still brand new, with SD7 levers, you can have the lot for £70.00 including postage, thats front and rear with front and rear levers. OR i think i may have some SD5/7's cant remember which, but they will be brand new and maybe £50.00 (Y):)

Wayne.

alternately, i have a set of back avid sd7 arms you can have for £15 :)

Sorry guys, I'm not gunna have time to buy from here, has to be local now, but also, I'm not sure what the latter is Paul but its the plate at the bottom

whats actually broken? the actual spring or the tab for the tension?....if its the latter i can help you :)

post-6352-1183497409_thumb.jpg

aha!

a common problem with ultimates, but an easy fix :)

firsty, find a ragged set of deore callipers, then pull off the pressed washer and dismantle the assembly, you will find a component that looks like what you have broken...but it'll have an extra length of tube on it-hack that off and file it flush-you now have a steel replacement that wont bust easily :) i've done it on all my ulimates, ive got some spare if you want any-what sides broken?

Pretty sure its the left side but i'll double check in 20 mins, if you could send one that would be great, I was just starting to doubt keeping the ultimate but you have restored my hope, Thanks very much for your help and you shall hear from me very soon. PaulOliver for Senior? :P (You and JT! would get my vote any day, thanks!)

Pretty sure its the left side but i'll double check in 20 mins, if you could send one that would be great, I was just starting to doubt keeping the ultimate but you have restored my hope, Thanks very much for your help and you shall hear from me very soon. PaulOliver for Senior? :P (You and JT! would get my vote any day, thanks!)

haha cheers :)

i shall have a look in my workshop, i know i have 1 normal ultimate tension thingy left, and 1 deore internal, lets just hope they aren't both for the wrong side :P hassle me, i know ill forget otherwise

Trust me, fishers i wouldnt say are the "best" company to carry stock on anything. they hardly ever have stock on Sram, Avid as it is so popular you may find you have to order it and it be on back order for a few weeks. just thought i would pre- warn you.

Wayne.

Latley fishers have disapointed me, they hardly ever seem to have any of the avid stuff in stock. Mainly rear mechs even if it does say its in stock on their site it usually isn't.

The whole back order thing as well. Sometimes we'll have a part on back order which is actually in stock and will be for 2 weeks before they realease the back orders.

• 2 weeks later...

righty, finally looked, and both of mine seem to be rights :(

but heres some pics explaining the deore bodge (well i say bodge, it makes it better)

firsty, diassemble a deore calliper, you need to prise off the washer, then it all falls apart

then find the nice silver bit with the lug that sits in the tension mounts in your frame (excuse the wank photos, i had to use a webcam)

post-5322-1184937512_thumb.jpg:

get the hacksaw out and chop off the excess shaft, file to smooth so its the same as your old original internal

and it'll fit in lovely like this:

post-5322-1184937599_thumb.jpg

works the same, and its beefier being steel, ive never snapped a deore one :) the tension plates are the only week point on ultimates, tis a shame

ok that was the shittest how to guide ever, but i dont have time to go and find an old deore to mash up again :P

Speaking of Avid/Fisher and the back order thing, Ive been waiting 2 months almost for a bb7 203, I orderd it from my local shop which are pretty good, they keep ringing fisher, fisher say theyll have in stock soon, they ring again, fisher says they'd have it out on the next delivery, delivery turned up this week, no brake. So..... I'm still waiting