With Or Without Tar

0489trials

Hey everyone, Just wondering how many people use tar on rims and how many don't, is it actually anygood? or are better brakes the way forward :D

Ta ollie

well personal I like s**t brakes or some times no brakes at all (Y)

on a more positive note it depends what pads you have I mean with zoo! pads tar is ace but on some others it is best

to grind

Hey everyone, Just wondering how many people use tar on rims and how many don't, is it actually anygood? or are better brakes the way forward :D

Ta ollie

well ive only been trial'zing for a couple of weeks now, but a few weeks back i tryed some tar, it really worked well for a while but then it started to stop working as much, and then when it rained it left a black substance on my rim which means i had to clean it all off with white spirit, which was a bum!! lol

Tar works well in the dry, but as the other guy said once wet it can make you brake really pants.

I used to run tar all the time with zoo! pads and it worked well but after a while i had to suffer with cleaning it all off again. If you want to run tar i think its good if you keep on using it but when you stop you will have to clean your rim well and your brake will feel awful, it took a few days of riding and cleaning to get my rim back to normal... but then i ground it :P and even though it is bad for your rim , my brake is amazing!

Matt

tar is always good sometimes but if u put too much on can make your brake pads stick and not come off just for that split second you want to do a kick with the pedal and it launches your weight towards and sometimes over the bars,lol, not good, i use a grind it is easy to do works really well with rock pads, and a light grind with some monty pads which is what i use right at the moment

Ta ollie

it depends what pads you have u have normal magura pads and they work well without tar but even better with tar but the opiniun will vary beetween other people and different pads.

I think tars great, in the dry it always works well with the right amount and helps the pads to last longer. With tar i don't think that a grind is as necessary and this will also prolong your pad life.

what chem said,

Tar *** in my eyes!

I use tar and its great but recently due to the rain it has become ground into the rim. What is the best way to remove this? Above someone suggested white spirit but is there any other way?

white spirit is the best way, doesnt contaminate your pads or anything

just takes it off straight away

Tar is always a good way to improve your braking power. I don't generally use it but every now and again when i don't want my brake to slip at all i slap some on. Don't put too much on though as your pads will stick to it and i have found that on a hot day it starts to melt and your pads just stick constantly!

Tar Does Help!!!! But recks Rim A Bit!!

How does it wreck the rim?, you can easily remove it with petrol, surely a grind does more damage?

I liked tar in the time I used it most, its good because if you are doing a move where your brake is a very vital part of the move (drop gaps for example), you can stick an excess amount on and then this will make it stick intentionally, it is also good as you can vary amount so you can have a brake that you can feather a bit.

I used to have magura pads, and in my opinion its s**t cos its too hard and therefore they dont adhere well.I used tar but since i run zoo pads(softer-better), i dont need tar and with brake booster it brakes quite well.