Trials Spots Map Of Your Local Town

26inch

Will make a full tutorial with screenshots tomorrow, bit tired now (Y)

I think you need to. I tried having a go based on what you wrote in the earlier post and for some reason Leicester is in newcastle :$ . Seems when i zoomed in for leicester and added it as a place it went walkabouts once i'd zoomed out again.

Okay, fixed it. I'd copied the Lat/Long from the top of the T-f reply page and put the name leicester after it.

What you ACTUALLY need to do is click the link to the page. Here.

Click the "edit" button for the bottom of the post.

Click the little bit of text saying "make a map", its a small hyperlink at the top of the forum text edit box under the little tool icons.

Click AND DRAG the place into position, zooming in if you want to get some proper accuracy on it. If you keep single clicking on the map you'll add a load of random markers so remember to hold it down and drag the map about. If you do make a random marker you can always click the remove link in the markers text box to delete the marker. Or search for your town in the search box.

Zoom all the way to your town you going to be editing, until your happy that point rightly deserves to mark the centre of the town :lol: and single click once. This will add your new marker and in the text box for it write [[put your place name in here]]. Then click save and exit in the bottom left of the markers bubble.

When you've done that copy the text for the place you added under where it says "Below is the Wiki mark-up to create the map above. Clear all points" (don't click clear all points as this will wipe the points from the map and they'll need to be re-done) The actual text should look something like:

<googlemap lat="55.002826" lon="-1.757812" zoom="5" width="300" height="425">
51.500152, -0.126236, [[London]]
52.241256, -1.845703, [[Birmingham]]
53.304621, -2.285156, [[Manchester]]
51.344339, -3.164062, [[Cardiff]]
52.636201, -1.133051, [[Leicester]]
52.771941, -1.206222, [[Loughborough]]
57.183902, -2.109375, [[Aberdeen]]
</googlemap>

Paste that into the main forum text box, at the end of the list that was already there.

At the bottom you'll see the save page box, click it and marvel at how you've now got a tag for your town :D(Y)

Part Two: Making your riding place map

Right, now i'm kind of making this up as i go along and could be misisng bits out. So to make your riding places you need to click the hyperlink in your town name box that you just created. Do this in the normal map view so you won't be in the post editing bit yet.

This will automatically bring up an editing page for your town. Click the "make a map" link to open up your map window. Search for your town in the search box as it will have automatically positioned you somewhere in america. This is exactly the same principle as for the main map. Firstly, you'll need to set the zoom level, for Leicester's zoom level i put in 14 as it shows the whole town pretty much and the riding spot tags should be fairly spread out. You can also change the size the map window will be displayed as, again i set it to 425x425 because it shows pretty much all the places. Click the save button in the bottom left corner of the box to save the starting point for your new map.

Add riding places to your towns map

If your coming along and someone has made your towns tag you'll only need to click on the town name from the main map, click the edit post button like a normal forum post and click the "make a map" link. Find the riding place and single click to place a marker at your riding spot and type the [[placename]] of the spot into the markers text box. Click "save and "exit to update the little section of code with your new marker name and location details. When you've finished adding your places copy the section of text with your new locations in, above the Note:.... and paste it into the main text box at the end of the locations that were previously there and click the save button at the bottom of the post when your finished. (Please note, copy and pasting the whole section will leave the camera view at the last place you were looking, so don't copy the top section with the lat/long and the zoom details).

Edited by Krisboats

Jersey is pretty much done, that guide was excellant, thanks for that.

Just one problem, once i have added all the place names, copy and pasted to the edit box, all is fine until i save the page. It re-opens it at the place I started at (somewhere in America). So i have to zoom out loads and then move back over to Jersey and it shows all the places I have done.

So the problem is, why does it start at america? And how do I get it to start looking over jersey?

help appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: oh dear, think I have screwed it all up, help please

Edited by alexmitcho

Just one problem, once i have added all the place names, copy and pasted to the edit box, all is fine until i save the page. It re-opens it at the place I started at (somewhere in America). So i have to zoom out loads and then move back over to Jersey and it shows all the places I have done.

EDIT: oh dear, think I have screwed it all up, help please

I suppose thats one of the benefits of an editable system, should be alright now... give it a whirl.

Jersey is completely done! i think.

Can someone who half knows what they're doing make sure its all working and all the place names have a description etc?

Cheers for the help and getting it all started!

Looks alright to me dude.

I've also had a fiddle and worked out you can get pictures of the places to appear instead of just text. So you click on the marker and up pops a picture of the place you want. In order to do this you need to set the image to 320x240 and upload it onto the wiki thing through the upload function on the main wiki page (bottom left section of the navigation bar)

The name you choose for the image while uploading is the name you want to put into [[image:examplename.jpg]] marks in the markers text box. When you come to click on the marker the image will jump up. Have a look round the leicester wiki map for a couple of examples.

Might just be me but when you click on Stratford it goes to the editing page, is that just because no spots have been added yet?

Does it for me as well. I can only imagine its something to do with the "-" marks between the words in Stratford-Upon-Avon.

Just had a quick look through Leicester and found some of the ones with images, and realised how amazing the internet is.

Now I need to add the trials riding mecca that is Broadstairs but sleep is more important... I'll be back though!

Somebody look on Broadstairs, I've managed to add some stuff and I'm feeling very proud of myself! Including a picture no less.

It did take me just over an hour with Kristboats's guide though... does that make me slow?

By the way, how do I make it come up with 'viewing Broadstairs' and the actual map rather than 'viewing editing Broadstairs' with the controls and stuff?

Edited by Tommy d

Thats what happened to my map when i did stratford, the editing stuff just came up but someone has sorted it now, if that person could put how they sorted it, it would be useful as it seems it may be a common problem

• 2 weeks later...