Just A Little Question

Hi there, just a quick question to see what you guys say as you give good advice.

When im riding and try to do pedal kicks etc, there is a slight 'Dunk' in the pedal. By this i mean there is a slight delay when i press down on the pedal for it to move, it's not a huge gap between the response time but it's enough to lose my mementum whilst up on the back wheel. If anybody can understand what i mean and has had/having the same problem, please let me know because it's starting to annoy me a little >_<

Thanks alot,

Scrumpy

How tight is you chain?

That delay can be caused by a loose chain having to straighten out before the wheel can move.

Just fiddle with the bike without being on it, youll soon see whats causing the problem!

Edited by strelly

Unless you have a damaged link in the chain which might make that noise or it might be loose componants like the others have said other then those it could b your crank sitting againest the chain or you bottom bracket could be the problem.

Hope you sort it out.

Joshx

Hi,

I had exactly the same feeling on my bike. I run a single sprocket and spacers on a normal freehub, I found that the feeling of delay was due to my cassette lockring having worked loose, allowing a tiny bit of play in the rear sprocket which was amplified to around half an inch at the cranks.

Try and move your rear sproket with your hands, any play at all will feel much bigger through your cranks (bigger levers), if its like mine was all you need to do is tighten up the lockring and it will go away forever.

Duane.

Thanks ALOT for these comments, but i've noticed something that could be the problem.

On my rear sprocket - It takes around 20 clicks for a full rotation, I was thinking if i had one that did about 40 or more clicks, it will more than half the amount of play?

If anybody could reccommend a new rear sprocket that does the job like this please let me know it would be much appeciated.

Edited by ScrumpyJunior

The BB moght be rocking slightly , it did on mine ?

Adam

This is just a case of the rear cassete being a bit naf i think >_< , i think getting a new one would sort the problem. Im going go from a geared one to a trial single sprocket aswell, i do loads of riding about but if it stops the delay in the pedal kicks then so be it.

http://www.behindbarsbikes.co.uk/images/bi...g_teamurban.jpg = My bike.

Edited by ScrumpyJunior

Thanks ALOT for these comments, but i've noticed something that could be the problem.

On my rear sprocket - It takes around 20 clicks for a full rotation, I was thinking if i had one that did about 40 or more clicks, it will more than half the amount of play?

If anybody could reccommend a new rear sprocket that does the job like this please let me know it would be much appeciated.

nail, head.

erm

on a mod?

might as well go for the tensile like mr muel says, it's the cheapest option

you might want to try preloading a bit though. what I mean is to move the pedal round slightly so the freewheel is already engaged before you pedalkick, doing that means all the power comes out as soon as you want it.

if you watch people doing static ups in videos you'll often see them make a small pedal adjustment before they make the big hop - its them getting the engagement before commiting to the move.

nail, head.

erm

on a mod?

might as well go for the tensile like mr muel says, it's the cheapest option

you might want to try preloading a bit though. what I mean is to move the pedal round slightly so the freewheel is already engaged before you pedalkick, doing that means all the power comes out as soon as you want it.

if you watch people doing static ups in videos you'll often see them make a small pedal adjustment before they make the big hop - its them getting the engagement before commiting to the move.

I agree with Mr Poop, it is a very good habit to get into, preloading, it saves your freewheel a lot of hammer and prolongs its life significantly.

Get a Tensile from Tarty, take the wheel down to your LBS and get them to change it over, if you can't do it yourself that is.

This guy has had the fastest validation ever!

If it is a rear freewheel, you could get a Tensile 60 click one for £35, what bike do you have?

Found that pic on the internet but it's the same as mine. Saracen Team Urban. Will check tarty for that Tensile now thanks.

P.S - Can i ask what you mean by the 'fastest validation ever!'? :lol:

you might just need to tighten your chian... but not too tight other wise your crank will skip

Checked the chain over mate, it seems fine. Thanks for the suggestion though.

to be honest once i buy this new tensile of tarty after my vacation i'll fit it and see how things are then. If it's solved then hoo-ray! :lol:.

Btw can anybody tell me about derailleurs? Are they reccommended or not, or does it make no difference what so ever? Just curious because the ones i see on mod bikes often face towards the front wheel vertically, yet mine sort of faces down towards the ground (As seen in this picture) http://www.behindbarsbikes.co.uk/images/bi...g_teamurban.jpg.

Should i just remove it, move it or just leave it be? Thanks,

Scrumpy