Try - All 108.9 Freewheel

Steve Tiller

You can't get spares for the Try-All freewheels as far as i know. But in my experience you don't need 'em. I ran one for about 6 months and it didn't skip once, sold it on, and six months later its still working perfectly. Get one.

I have only heard bad things about these freewheels, i have been runing a eno for about year and a half on my mod its been amazing never had to do anyhiting to it :)

eno *** ! ! !

My mate has had two Try-Alls, and they have both been abbsolute rubbish! The first lasted for 3 months and by the end it was skipping all the time, the second one is 1 month old and is going that way.

He and another mate have had Enos, they have been skipped a few times as well.

The only freewheel rond that has never skipped is my tensile, 7 months and no skips at all.

The only freewheel rond that has never skipped is my tensile, 7 months and no skips at all.

same with mine, 7 months old, no skips whatsoever :)

however, Mr Malcom on here has one, but his skips like a school girl on LSD.

meh, best freewheels around imo

All I can say is that I get the impression that the Try-All freewheels rarely do anything but skip. Tensiles are cheap and extremely good but, the first one I had, I had for a few months and it started to skip just riding up hills :S (A bi of maintainance might have sorted that though...) The second one I've got has been going well though. As for Enos - seem very expensive but very reliable. So if you want to 99% that the freewheel is gonna work - go for the eno but, for about half the price - you can get a Tensile and be pretty certain that your face is gonna be safe.

cheers for the replys i think im going to try and get an Eno because ive had some bad experiences in the past from cheep freewheels and so i decided to have a sprocket on the front for a while but now i've hit a barrier and the ratio is holding me back not able to get a good enough kick out of it so i reverting back to freewheel at the front.

steve

Im quite suprised to hear the bad words about the try-all.

I would imagine the problem is more to do with the fact that kids keep riding with them when they are broken, because you can't get spares for them, where as if something breaks in an eno/tensile, it will be fixed fairly quick because it's so easy to do. All these people saying the freewheel is skipping and such, do you know WHY it's doing this? im looking for a decent answer not 'cos try all r sh1t'

The try all I had was faultless, given I didn't ride it very hard or for long, as I got a great deal on an as new eno and preferred the availbility of spares, but yeh, what's the cause of failure on these one's that are not so good?

I ran one for about 6 months and it didn't skip once, sold it on, and six months later its still working perfectly. Get one.

Damn Straight,

I bought my freewheel off this guy(Quackers) I expect he ran it for a while and since I bought it, it hasn't skipped once. My mates have ENOs and echo freewheels and even they say theyre poor compared to the try-alls. I understand that ENOs are completely rebuildable but I'll still go with the try-all every time. Some people say the try-all freewheels are rubbish and blow up, well I ride with quite a lot of people and theres about 7 people who use try-alls including ,myself and they all think the freewheels are good and don't blow up or skip all the time. Another mate of mine, runs an echo freewheel and that skips about 10 times a day.

lots of different personal experiencies on freewheels, I just can say try-all rides so nice, sometimes sounds like is gonna skip but it never do it, if one pawl skips there are 8 left to engage, so...

gives you a lot of control on the bike, you can't notice the "dead" position of the crank, and it's cheaper than ENO.

It's the best one I have rode.

lots of different personal experiencies on freewheels, I just can say try-all rides so nice, sometimes sounds like is gonna skip but it never do it, if one pawl skips there are 8 left to engage, so...

gives you a lot of control on the bike, you can't notice the "dead" position of the crank, and it's cheaper than ENO.

It's the best one I have rode.

Wrong, they engage in three sets of three, so only three pawls engage at any one time, leaving two in theory. But in reality they just skip as well.

That is what Try-Alls do, skip.

I would run an eno!! ive got one and its amazing!! my mate has a tryall and every time he pedals his pedals backwards it sounds so unhealthy and gets so clogged aswell!!! but its your choice!! Also i think you can get spares on tarty for eno freewheels!!

Edited by !JaMmY!

Why does everyone keep saying get an Eno because it is the only one with spares ALL parts for TENSILES are available ex-stock. Pawls, springs, shims and caged bearings are stocked by us and several shops. These are also available as service kits. Inner ring and outer ring, temporarily out of stock, will be available again as spares in about three weeks. All these parts are comparatively cheap as well. A full service kit, 6 pawls, 6 springs, 2 caged bearings and 3 shims is £12 post free. This compares to 1 pawl at £6 or 1 pawl spring at £2 for an Eno.

Why does everyone keep saying get an Eno because it is the only one with spares ALL parts for TENSILES are available ex-stock. Pawls, springs, shims and caged bearings are stocked by us and several shops. These are also available as service kits. Inner ring and outer ring, temporarily out of stock, will be available again as spares in about three weeks. All these parts are comparatively cheap as well. A full service kit, 6 pawls, 6 springs, 2 caged bearings and 3 shims is £12 post free. This compares to 1 pawl at £6 or 1 pawl spring at £2 for an Eno.

What about the outer ring/rachet/teeth thing, the bit what the chain runs on?

They get chewed up more than the pawls.