Ftp ?

Concussion

I have a job lined up which requires me to be able to upload/download .tiff files to an FTP...er site, and I'm looking for some guidance/info etc. I am aware FTP stands for `file transfer protocol`... I think I use this when uploading web pages I have made in Dreamweaver to my hosting site, but someone showed me how to do that and it don't seem a big deal now.

Anyway, can I use Dreamweaver to upload .tiff files to where ever? If not, what freeware can I download to achieve the same thing and how complicated are they to use. = if someone could explain to me an`idiots guide` to FTP uploading/downloading I would be VERY grateful.

Hope someone can help me... thanks! (Y)

Don't know quite what your getting at here but if your wanting to do what i'm thinking, then here:

Open your ftp client > open folder on your pc with files you want to upload > drag and drop the files (.tiff etc) into the dir in your ftp client you want

Possibly.

I know little about this, but as far as i know, as Josh said, get an ftp client, and drag and drop, you need to configure it first though, you need to know the server you're uploading to and no doubt there'll be a login for this server, so you'll need to put your login and password in soit can connect n that.

Does Dreamweaver have an inbuilt FTP client or something?

It's really pretty simple. You need to get an FTP client. FlashFXP is good, Filezilla is also good (and free). These two are roughly the same design/layout, other FTP programs might differ slightly. Anyway, with these two programs, on the left pane you have your computer, on the right you have the server you're connecting to.

You'll have to press 'connect' somewhere (It'll be on one of the menus, have a look) and type in the server address/port/username/password (which you will get from whoever is in charge of the server).

When it's connected (takes a second or two), you will see the file structure on the server on the right. It's then simply a case of dragging and dropping files/folders from one side to the other - it's very simple.

Files that are copying are listed in the bottom pane, along with stuff like transfer speed, percent progress etc. When it's all done you can just close the program. Simple as that :)

(please note: Poor PC knowlage. but what the hell) In internet explorer type ftp://<ip of server> then hit enter. a box should pop up asking for a user name and password. obviously.... put it in and press login or submit e.t.c.

Then this should have connected you to the server.

Drag the files to your desired location :)

Hope this helps. if it doesn't ignore me. im a douche. if it does. What can i say... im a genious (nerd).