Getting Started

Phreemann

Hi,

New member here, I'll start off saying that I'm just getting back into MTB'ing after a few years out and I'm into the street/trials side of things, as I'm in an urban area. I've just built up my new bike, a Woodman Elite, for trials type stuff and some jump/street, and I was hoping someone could help me out with regards to brakes.

At the minute I have a rear Hayes HFX-9 brake, which is not exactly stunning in performance, and no front brake due to budget cuts when building. I'm planning on fitting a Hope mono front disc brake, and replacing the rear Hayes with either a Hope mono or Magura HS33.

My main question is, of these two, which is more powerful and usable? I'm not worried about the disc mount on my frame as it's the beefiest I've ever seen, and I reckon the wheels can take it as they're strong and I'm not a heavy rider. I'm just looking for the best all round setup, and whilst I know there's a lot of debate about this subject, I'd just like some informed opinions here to guide my choice.

Thanks in advance.

No one really uses discs on 26@ trials bikes anymore.

They are really easy to hit and not as adjustable and invulnerable as a magura HS33. Also, the Maguras are easier to maintain and boast more hold and 'on off power'. Discs tend to be less bitey than the rim brakes.

It would be worth getting a Hs33 other than a disc because the parts widely available, cost less and are beter for the job or trials.

Max..

^^ Completely wrong IMO.

Loads of people use front discs. Mainly Avid BB7's because they have so much power! Much better than a rim brake.

Your Hayes should be powerful enough? How old is it?

Try cleaning the disc and pads.

Boil the disc in the pan, to get any dirt off it, and blowtorch the pads to burn any oil etc off them.

This should increase it's performance dramatically.

If you can't be arsed with that, ride around with the brake slightly on for a while so it heats up, the pour some cold water on it. Not really sure how, but it makes disc brakes work so much better!

Personally I use HS33's front and back and wouldn't swap em at all, they are just perfect for my streety style of riding and give plenty of modulation for those moves that require it and they can lock up when I need them to ;)

Just be carefull which pads you use. I find Rimjams are my fav at the mo.

Most of the people I ride with use HS33 on the rear and disk on the front though. My advice is to use a few peoples bikes with different set-ups and find one that suits ;)

hey i used to ride with twin disk's (disk front and back)

it was good, stopped u very quickly but if u r using it for street aswell as trials i highly recomend using a front disk for the stopping power and a rear HS33 as they are better to drag and to use for manuals.

this is coming for a bloke who used to bmx for many year, saw the light and got back into trials riding, only because its the way forword, one hop at a time.

hope this will help you.

stuart.

Thanks for the help; I think the thing to do will be to try them both and see which I prefer. I haven't tried Magura's before, just V's and discs.

My Hayes is the XC version, I bought it off eBay a while ago and it's in pretty good shape. It just doesn't seem as powerful as decent V-brakes or various Hope discs I've ridden in the past. I'll try the water method and see if that improves things any, I've heard of that for bedding in, didn't realise you could use it any time.

Thanks again!

I run hope mono mini front disc brake and rear water bled hs33. Found this to be the best setup for me. Definately go for a water bleed, I have had no problem with it freezing and it gives a much better feel to your brake, even after 2 years I have not needed to re-bleed it at all.

Edited by jonny1988

I run hope mono mini front disc brake and rear water bled hs33. Found this to be the best setup for me. Definately go for a water bleed, I have had no problem with it freezing and it gives a much better feel to your brake, even after 2 years I have not needed to re-bleed it at all.

Which would you say offers more ultimate stopping power? At the minute I'm leaning towards the exact setup you're using, but because my bike also doubles nicely for street and jump riding I'm still undecided. I like the idea of being able to bleed with water, does this cause any problems with the brake, i.e. rust or lack of lubrication?

Hey, i'm new here also, just getting back into trials after my old bike, an 2000 Onza T pro was stolen recently from my shed. But it is getting replaced with an 07 T-Comp. How hard is it to get used to Hydraulic Magura HS33's compared to V's that were on my old bike?

Thanks alot :)

Hey, i'm new here also, just getting back into trials after my old bike, an 2000 Onza T pro was stolen recently from my shed. But it is getting replaced with an 07 T-Comp. How hard is it to get used to Hydraulic Magura HS33's compared to V's that were on my old bike?

Thanks alot :)

you will feel a difference in a good way i mean. vee's can be very very sharp when set right but so can HS33's, the good thing with HS33's though u canset them up to be a bit spoungiewith is good for dragging the brake and so on....

but like i sed you will feel the difference dependin on how you like you're breaks set up

hope this helps

stuart

^^ Completely wrong IMO.

Loads of people use front discs. Mainly Avid BB7's because they have so much power! Much better than a rim brake.

Personally i think you are wrong with this, most people would run a front disc because they modulate alot better than a rim brake.

if u want to stop dead, you wont beat a rim brake.

It is impossible for a disc to out perform a rim brake when they are both set-up properly and clean.

Discs are mainl used because its in the middle of the wheel and dont get as dirty,meaning they perform alot longer than a rim brake, but if you keep your rims and brakes clean and setup properly, a rim brake will perform better.

The only thing a disc brake has an advantage is holding power

Once the wheel has stopped the disc will hold alot better because of the pads, and no flex like you would in a frame so its solid once its stopped.

I would recommend front disc and a rear hs33

I am using both hs33 and thats the way its staying on mine, thats how i like it :P

It's all down to personal preference.

Vee