Helmets

!laycky!

ok need need a lid badly but i dont no witch 1 to get. i wont 1 that looks good n will protect my head for obvious reasons.

just wonder if anyone had any problems with ether of them.

please post with reasons and good and bad points.

cheers laycky.

I rekon go for a real lid rather than a p*ss pot :lol: on the other hand, when i came off backwards the rock loc on my helmet (size adaptor thingy) dug into the back of my head >_< I think its more down to what you prefur the look of to be honest mate (Y)

The Bmx style helmet (Pisspot), are generally stronger and provide more coverage, but don't have the inner part that allows it to fit securely to your head.

I prefer the Cycle style helmets, as they look better in my opinion and can fit tighter to your head than a Pisspot helmet.

But then again its down to personal preference.

I guess trying it on/comfort should be the main thing. Saying that, when I got a helmet I just ordered the 661 dirt lid of CRC...

Generally I reckon a cycle style helmet will probably heat up your head less, but a dirt lid looks better, in my own humble opinion.

I have a 661 mullet helmet which is bmx style and its really solid and comfortable, however i don't know if this happens with all style helmets but it gets extremely hot as there are not quite as many vents in bmx style helmets. I have had mine for just over 3 years now without crashing badly on it so i dont really know how strong it actually is but it does feel solid. Overall a superb looking lid, i'd recommend to anyone. :D

I've got a happy medium... I use a Giro Semi MX. It provides adequate protection all around including the fact it covers the back of my head fairly well. I like it because its got the mountain bike helmet style yet has the overall protection of a bmx pisspot... Alas they don't sell them anymore but I remember Waynio posting up a link to a new range of helmets and there was a Semi MX style helmet in there. I'll fetch the link and edit when I've got it. (Y)

EDIT: As promised Said Link... The Cyphon is the one thats quite like the Semi MX. (Y)

Edited by College Boy

I like my TSG pisspot for street riding, mainly because it covers more of the back of my head for when I loop out backwards. I also have a Trek normal XC style helmet if it's really hot.

Got to get some stickers for the TSG though. It's illegal to own a pispot that doesn't have stickers on it.

I would advise anyone against a Giro Semi MX as the shell tends to come away from the helmet, it's happened to four I know of, but mine's still going strong. The Zen looks very nice, they're comfy and light with plenty of air holes, probably your best bet for a decent helmet.

This is just my two cents and not sure if you guys have Consumer Reports (non biased, never paid by any 3rd party companies & does not accept advertising) but Pro-Tec Classic, Bell Faction (BMX), Giro Makai (BMX) and Mongoose (BMX) helmets are NOT recommended for safety reasons. Even the cheaper Bell Citi helmet is actually rated the best while popular helmets like Giro Havoc, Bell X-Ray is rated as the better.