The Universe Discussion

Boswell

Also how can there be planets/solar systems/galxies further away than we can currently see due to light not arriving yet if the big bang theory is true as all matter has appeared from one point in space and to still be undetected the masses of particles must have accelerated past the speed of light.

Edited by ZeroMatt

Humans suck.

We have all this opportunity to discover other life and stuff, but were all too busy to find it.

Also if God is real then there must be other life. Otherwise its an awful waste of space, my brother worked out that there is 458522985180000000000000000 miles diameter to the universe.

so, suggesting that the universe is a sphere, that makes it something like

8296942617936070441327208577600000003243544571972764173607146131 miles cubed.

Yeah, pretty big.

EDIT: not to mention that its growing as i type....

I agree, if we all stopped fighting and used the money that we use in wars to study the universe we would be a lot closer to understanding it. :unsure:

good topic boswell, i was in that conversation.

now to f*** some peoples heads up!

why is it that the world looks round from outer space, but is always flat and never ends? :S

i have the theory that we are just not advanced enough to understand it, while people on other planets could easily understand the concept.

why is it that the world looks round from outer space, but is always flat and never ends? :S

you muppet! have you never looked at the horizon! the fact there is one is proof, plus its curved! look at the horizon on a boat, and you will see the slight curve.

i have the theory that we are just not advanced enough to understand it, while people on other planets could easily understand the concept.

ahahhaahhhahaahahahahahahahaahha

you muppet! have you never looked at the horizon! the fact there is one is proof, plus its curved! look at the horizon on a boat, and you will see the slight curve.

think about it! ur not gonna start goin upside down on the curve are you? its always flat cosidering were inside a giant sphere

think about it! ur not gonna start goin upside down on the curve are you? its always flat cosidering were inside a giant sphere

if you travel aroudn the world you will not end up upside down relative to the gorund no, you will end up upside down relative to your starting point half way round however.

Read a book called 'A Brief History of Time' by Steven Hawking. It will inform you enough on this subject to form your own judgements and opinions....It really is quite baffling though - somewhere, out there in space this could be happening!

It's a good book, I read the first two chapters and got a bit lost as it went into quantum theory with no explaining about what it was and I gave up. I'm reading the sequal, 'The Universe In A Nutshell' now. It's an amazing book, fairly easy going and gives you a lot to think about. The last chapter I read there was an awesome quote it was something like "If the universe was created by God, why did he wait for infinity before creating it?".

There was also some crazy equation which estimated the minimum force per sq inch of pressure if the big bang did create the universe. It was 1 with 72 0's after it (1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000) tonnes per sq inch.

One of the hardest things I found to grasp was time. We have a practical perception of time on earth; night, day, month, year etc. Although further out in the universe 10 earth years can pass by in less time, a week perhaps (if we were using our scale of timing). So, in theory, if we could travel faster than the speed of light we could travel to out of space stay there for 1 'earth week' and when we come back 10 earth years would of passed on earth everything and everyone on earth would of aged however you would of only aged for the single week you were away.

The scale of the whole thing is just immence and we don't even know how far to the 'edge', if any we are.

Good try but i think he explained it pritty well.

+ Hey you stole my theory.

Edited by Boswell

lol

Because we don't 'know' of heaven and hell. Its just another theory, its never been proved. Therefore just a myth, some people seem to need reassurance that something happens to them after they die otherwise there time on earth was meaningless. Weird huh.

ok thanx for that lego man.

its just that i couldn't get my head around that if you went into earth from underneath(if thats possible) in some sort of spacecraft, you'd go up and then you'd go down if you know what i mean.

As we're orbiting the Sun, the Sun's orbiting a black hole right? That's why the Milky Way is spiral shape, cus it's being pulled in sorta....?

It has yet to be proved for sure but most astronomers believe that's the case... although the Sun doesn't really orbit the black hole, our solar system and millions of other planets/stars etc are all orbiting round the hole which is at the centre of our galaxy (the Milky Way).

They've proved black holes exist, pictures for example :P It's strange how with black holes, you imagine nothing's there really, however it has such an immense gravitational force even light can't escape the pull! And you can't have gravity without a mass, so that proves they has masses.