Fitting A Headset?

Rebelistic

Right I've got a new frame (echo pure 07) and a new headset.

Do I have to take it to a local bike shop to fit or can I just whack it in with a mallet?

I think I've heard that you need to use a headset press so I probably need to get the LBS to do it?

Cheers,

John.

Edit: Just noticed the WIKI guide - sorry should have checked before posting!

Edited by Rebelistic

Right I've got a new frame (echo pure 07) and a new headset.

Do I have to take it to a local bike shop to fit or can I just whack it in with a mallet?

I think I've heard that you need to use a headset press so I probably need to get the LBS to do it?

Cheers,

John.

Edit: Just noticed the WIKI guide - sorry should have checked before posting!

you have a few options

1. take it to your local bike shop

2. buy a headset press and do it yourself

3. make a headset press from a long bolt, nut, some large washers and a apanner, and do it yourself cheaply (what I do)

4. Use a mallet, but with a plank of wood over the headset so you don't damage the headset

I'd go for 3 as it is cheap, easy and unlikely to damage your headset. If you have a burning desire to know hoe to do it the pro way, go here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/fix/?id=howfix_threadless

Good luck dude!

I have a headset press and its worth the money, its so easy to install the headset and no worries you will ruin the headset or frame. But thoose Deng headsets are a pain in the ass, you cant take the bearing out and the bearing goes further out than the cup so the press will hit the bearing instead of the cup.

Edited by Smallville

Yeah its a deng (echo) headset I think. Would I be likley to crush the bearings if I tap it in with a mallet and peice of wood? I expect it'd be ok as long as I don't hit it too hard.

I have one of thoose to on my bike, they are not fun to install. I used my headset press to install it but it was hard to find away not to press on the bearing. If you use a mallet and a peice of wood you have to be very careful or you can hurt the bearing. The best would be to have a very short pipe that has the exact same diameter as the cup so it does not touch the bearing, then hammer on the pipe to get the headset to slide in to the frame. Well its a bit hard to explain but i think you get what i mean.

you have a few options

1. take it to your local bike shop

2. buy a headset press and do it yourself

3. make a headset press from a long bolt, nut, some large washers and a apanner, and do it yourself cheaply (what I do)

4. Use a mallet, but with a plank of wood over the headset so you don't damage the headset

I'd go for 3 as it is cheap, easy and unlikely to damage your headset. If you have a burning desire to know hoe to do it the pro way, go here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/fix/?id=howfix_threadless

Good luck dude!

5. Use a large vice, its dead easy. Use soft jaws to protect the cups or bearings and wind away. Nice and parallel all the way.