Vees Or Disk Brakes

slug

He's not asking about magura's..

If i were you, I'd spend around £50 on a better vee setup (sd7 levers/arms, plazmatic CRV pads) and your brake will be both better than a magura and disc.

Not necceserally true ;) vee's often are better than disk's/maguras but not all the time, my vee isnt half as good as my mates disk !

Not necceserally true ;) vee's often are better than disk's/maguras but not all the time, my vee isnt half as good as my mates disk !

What pads are you using? How harsh is your grind? What lever?

how about saving more money and doing like i said in my first post and get a magura rear and disc front

But why should he? You havn't given any reasoning. And it won't save him money at all.

If you like vee brake's then put plazmatic pads on a lite grind. But if you wan't a disk I would go for a bb7 there meant to work just like hopes. Ive heard there the cheaper version of the hope. :lol:

Well I'm afraid to say, you have heard wrong. Avids are more adjustable, probably more powerful, weaker, cable operated.. There are many more differences.

Depends what bike you have and what kind of riding you do.

If you have a Mod and ride street, I would have a rear V and a front disc, the same for a Stock on street.

For natural, double disc Mod, not too sure on stock.

Also depends on your budget, and whether you bike is actually worth upgrading. Who would put double disc on a saracen mad 2.zero?

Suprisingly Vees are about the same weight(caliper + lever) as magura or disc brake(minus the rotor).

To get the same feeling at both levers, i'd go all hydro or all cable.

BB7 front/V-brake rear

Hydro front disc /magura rear

Hydro feels much better at the lever in my opinion. More precise(modulation) and you don't have the grinding feeling of mechanical. The rotor has to be perfectly true for mechanical disc brake. If not they're pretty much unpredictable.

It depends also how much maintenance you are willing do to on them.

BB7 simply won't stay adjusted for the love of god. You have to re-ajust the caliper every five minutes. That's why everybody are pros at adjusting them. They lock like hell though.

Rear disc always gets in the way especially for sidehops. Buy some spares.

Having two rim brakes should be nice also. If they can lock. You shave at least half a pound from having two rotors.

Hope it helps!!!

Edited by neomember

to be honest i prefer dual discs because you get get them cheaper than a hs33 for example a avid juicy 3 for £50 and hs33s don't work properly

when they are wet you just hear the brake pads really wet which is very annoying so dual disc is probably a lot better to have well that's what i think

Suprisingly Vees are about the same weight(caliper + lever) as magura or disc brake(minus the rotor).

To get the same feeling at both levers, i'd go all hydro or all cable.

BB7 front/V-brake rear

Hydro front disc /magura rear

Hydro feels much better at the lever in my opinion. More precise(modulation) and you don't have the grinding feeling of mechanical. The rotor has to be perfectly true for mechanical disc brake. If not they're pretty much unpredictable.

It depends also how much maintenance you are willing do to on them.

BB7 simply won't stay adjusted for the love of god. You have to re-ajust the caliper every five minutes. That's why everybody are pros at adjusting them. They lock like hell though.

Rear disc always gets in the way especially for sidehops. Buy some spares.

Having two rim brakes should be nice also. If they can lock. You shave at least half a pound from having two rotors.

Hope it helps!!!

Ive been using bb7s on my czar mod for more than 4 months now. I never adjust em, if you set them up properly, they will stay adjusted. They work 10x times better than my old hs33. Less maintenance and you can use them in every conditions. Need a good brake hose and a proper lever... bb7s are always a good choice if you ask me. I have never had any trouble with the rear disc when doing sidehops, its hard to hit them, they stay away from the wall when the rear wheel slips off the wall...

Edited by esfrost