Mini Dv Software

Egg Fried Rice

Hello all

Right, my dad has a mini DV camcorder, JVC GD-DX37 to be exact, that i want to use to make a video but i had no clue how i was going to get the footage off onto the computer. After some research i found out i needed a software called 'imagemixer 1.7'. Apparently it came with the camcorder but i can't find it. I've looked on the internet and i can't download it anywhere either.

So really i am asking whether there are any other types of software i can use instead of 'imagemixer'. Any help would be much appreciated :D

JK x

You are connecting it via Firewire?

Someone did mention that to me lol no is the answer :$ i have no firewire ports though in my PC. But the camcorder did come with a USB, what would that be for if i had to use firewire? Sorry if im being dim, i have to be spoon fed with knowledge ;)

JK

Firewire gives far superior clatiry as its a digital feed from the tape, USB im not sure what it does but it gets compressed I think and it looks turd basically.

Pop down your local PC World or similar and grab a firewire PCI card, or get one off ebuyer. You will probaboly need a 4 to 6 pin cable as well. Its worth shelling out about £30 really to get the better quality. They supply USB cables as all computers have a USB socket (find me one that doesnt and I will do nothing :P) Where as not all computers come with a firewire port as stadard.

Firewire gives far superior clatiry as its a digital feed from the tape, USB im not sure what it does but it gets compressed I think and it looks turd basically.

Pop down your local PC World or similar and grab a firewire PCI card, or get one off ebuyer. You will probaboly need a 4 to 6 pin cable as well. Its worth shelling out about £30 really to get the better quality. They supply USB cables as all computers have a USB socket (find me one that doesnt and I will do nothing :P) Where as not all computers come with a firewire port as stadard.

Ah wicked, i work at currys/PC world (DSG) so i should be able to get alot of help from them and discount ^_^ Things are much clearer now, thank you.

JK

Pop down your local PC World or similar and grab a firewire PCI card, or get one off ebuyer. You will probaboly need a 4 to 6 pin cable as well. Its worth shelling out about £30 really to get the better quality. They supply USB cables as all computers have a USB socket (find me one that doesnt and I will do nothing :P ) Where as not all computers come with a firewire port as stadard.

USB will be for stills pictures (probably) unless your camera can stream from USB.... which will be identical to firewire port quality as it is digital. USB streaming (at least with my camera) means you have to use software provided with the camera. If you use firewire pretty much any editing software will recognise your camera and be able to cope. also what you really want is adobe premier.......

well yes i guess if it doesnt stream DV then it will be worse quality ....

but I cant think of many reasons why a manufacturer would make a compressor in the camera to stick out compressed on USB when the standard is firewire raw DV...

mine is identical .... :D