3d Modeling

Reece B

Hey guys, well im interested in some 3d modeling and wondered what type of programs are out there, and what programs for a beginner :)

So is there many of you on tf that do modeling alot ?

Any tips would be helpful,

ta Reece

I'd recommend Google Sketch It Up, it's free and pretty good for a learner, will definately help you decide whether or not you can be arsed to learn a full on 3D suite.

..but yeah defiantly you can go very detailed on that in-fact there's a pro version you can buy. OR £20 a year if you can prove you in education.

Blender3D is a full featured free 3D modeling software. Check it out!

unfortunately, while blender is free it's also horrible and behaves absolutely nothing like any of the packages people use professionally.

3ds Max 9 is the shit - nothing compares as far as I'm concerned.

Maya is also very good - i prefer the modelling tools and interface in MAX but it's equally capable overall.

Softimage and Lightwave are perfectly good but I don't like them (you might find you do, plenty of other people do) , Modo is really nice to work in but pretty specific to just modelling and doesn't seem to have been widely adopted.

There's other supplementary packages like Zbrush and Mudbox but you really need to get your modelling in Max/maya etc nailed down before you can make any real use of them.

If you intend to do 3d professionally you're going to end up using more than one package anyway so it's best to get familiar with as many interfaces as possible - the principle remain the same between packages it's just the names they give things that change.

Currently your best bet is to learn Max and/or Maya (preferably both) as they're the most popular with 3d studios. Personally I'd recommend Max over Maya as it's a cleaner, more efficient interface with less complicated jargon (

it's also a lot easier to download the demo and pm somebody for the crack

)

Don't be tempted by Poser, sketchup, bryce or any of the other "easy" packages - they have their uses but are very limited and you'll learn nothing about modelling from them.

places to go for info include...

3dtotal.com

deviantart.com

highend3d.com

I strongly recommend getting a decent book as it';ll speed up the learning process massively - the semi-official Max ones (published by new riders) were always very good (not that I've read one since version 2.5). I'm not sure about Maya books as I'd been using Max for 5 years before I went near it so I just used guesswork and the online help.

make sense?

good luck, have fun and take it slowly - you don't learn a package like Max in a year :D

Edited by poopipe