Running Dual Monitors

Joe Aston

Right iv just ordered a new graphics card for my pc and it has two outputs on it one dvi and one vga it also comes with a dvi to vga adapter i also have a spair lcd monitor so is there any software or anything i need to change if i want to run two screens i no with the two screens being different sizes so i no vertical res may be a problem. But is there anything i need or is it just as simple as plug and play ?

cheers

joe

windows can handle two monitors itself pretty well but for extra features and usability i recommend Ultramon. It's a great program for dual monitor setups.

Also bear in mind some gfx cards suffer a little if you're running gfx intensive programs with dual screens (two monitors so the cards works harder). Personally I play CSS/S.T.A.L.K.E.R/Ghost Recon 2 happily with one screen gaming and one screen msn but i do notice an improved fps if i turn one screen off.

Edited by dan_brisa

Hey, does dual monitors mean you can have two different programs on the screens at the same time? roughly how much (excluding the screen) does it cost to set up a computer like this?

:S I don't get what you mean because the monitors are the only thing that cost's i mean of-course you need a computer with duel outputs or just a laptop because pretty much all of them come with a dvi (sp?) slot for projectors ect, so you just plug in a screen go to your options menu and boom.. done.

Hey, does dual monitors mean you can have two different programs on the screens at the same time? roughly how much (excluding the screen) does it cost to set up a computer like this?

Just the cost of a cheap graphics card, most have two outputs nowadays.

As for running two programs, what do you mean exactly? You can do that on one screen :P

I've got a 24" widescreen and a 19" 4:3, usually just run media player on the smaller screen and use the big screen for the remaining apps.

Right thanks for all the help guys got it all set up now and its wicked just got a couple of issues that those of you running dual monitors may be able to help me with.

1st, is there any way i can enlarge a a application window in just one screen and no so it spreads across both. Im using the setting horizontal span and when ever it loads up something it spreads it across both screens. Is there anyway i can set it to just enlarge on one screen?

Thanks for the help

joe

Edit scrap that iv just found how to do it. There is setting in my card options but it only seems to work on windows apps but not i tunes

Edited by Onza Joe