Best Square Taper Bottom Bracket?

andyzplace

Been talking to a friend about what square taper bb to get (i've been out of trials for about 2 years) and he tells me that there was some hype on here not long ago about a cheap one that turned out to be pretty good.

Sorry if i'm talking a load of arse here.

(Oh and i know isis etc is much better, just trying to build up a bike with what I got)

Cheers guys!, Andy

Get the UN72 (XT level) if you have to use a square taper BB - I'm guessing the XT uses a better material for the axle as usually the difference between shimano components is in the materials choice. I used to snap cranks, but since I got my Middleburns I started snapping a BB every year(ish). Since I swapped to ISIS a couple of years back I've had no breakages, but the bearings recently seized, then unseized when I pedaled backwards, so it'll need replacing (Since I'm planning on getting a whole new bike I'll just use the current BB till it's properly dead).

Get the UN72 (XT level) if you have to use a square taper BB - I'm guessing the XT uses a better material for the axle as usually the difference between shimano components is in the materials choice. I used to snap cranks, but since I got my Middleburns I started snapping a BB every year(ish). Since I swapped to ISIS a couple of years back I've had no breakages, but the bearings recently seized, then unseized when I pedaled backwards, so it'll need replacing (Since I'm planning on getting a whole new bike I'll just use the current BB till it's properly dead).

like this man says...square taper really does suck sooo much compared to isis.

so if you can, you should.

UN72's are hollow axle, lighter and weaker.

Not necessarily true.

They usually snap where the bottom of the hole for the crank bolt is due to the stress riser you get at the bottom of a hole. You dont get this with an XT or V!Z bb as the hole goes right the way through.

I have a V!Z BB and it seems fine. Doesnt weigh much either.