Moto Trials

Conor the basher.

Hey all :)

Right so in the last few weeks ive been watching a lot of moto trials vids on boobtube ect and i am really intrested in having a go :) i havent really got much excperiance with motor bikes i can ride one though (Y)

so basically im wanting to get cheap bike can anyone point me in the right direction and tell me some of the basic stuff is i hard to get used to the bike ect ...... how much will i be looking to pay for a cheap bike ?

Cheers alll :)

There not that hard to ride ect. But money, they cost alot, my brother had one we both used to ride it and it cost like 20£ petrol everytime, 5£ at the most depending on where we was riding and then about 1,500£ for his bike and it was only a 50cc.(this was like 4 years ago)and are step dad had a 250cc montesa witch was about 3,500£. So it can cost alot.

Hope i've helped.

Laky

£20 in petrol? thats alot, way more then what me and brother would use in a comp.

Normaly we would take two bikes full of petrol, £7? then take a full can another £5 then that would last a day, or a comp.

The bikes themselves cost about £3500 new, but if you get one seconde hand you could prob get a 2000-2004 about £1500, 2005-2006 £1600-£2200 2007-£2500.

Thats a rough price range. Also you won't want anything less than a 125cc. Depending on how heavy/age you are thats what I would go off.

There not that hard to ride ect. But money, they cost alot, my brother had one we both used to ride it and it cost like 20£ petrol everytime, 5£ at the most depending on where we was riding and then about 1,500£ for his bike and it was only a 50cc.(this was like 4 years ago)and are step dad had a 250cc montesa witch was about 3,500£. So it can cost alot.

Hope i've helped.

Laky

they're not that heavy on petrol. my gas gas 125 takes just over a half a can to fill it up and it only costs just over £5 to fill the can.

A 1998 gasser txt will be about a grand or less... i have never used more than 5 litres riding a full day!!!

It is in fact a cheaper sport than cycle trials!!! You lot pay about a grand for a complete bike and then some rip off prices for the parts that you break, and they break far more often and easier on the cycle stuff. Unless you are really unlucky you will perhaps bend a lever in a fairly big crash.

The biggest drawback is bike transport... you either need a car with a towbar, a van or a Dad with one :)

Get a 125cc Gas Gas, best bike. Around £1000 would be good to spend to get an well looked after second hand trials bike for a learner. Remember to keep changing the oil regularly before it turns going brown change it when its still green/yellow etc. Always oil the chain before you go riding and change them once you have used for around seven events or more. Change the air filter or make sure it is clean before going out riding, remember to spray (air filter spray, cant remember name) on it so no crap like mud and stone can get into the engine etc. Grease all the nuts and bolts on the bike so they do not rust. Make sure no water goes into the engine etc and keep WD 40 off the discs etc and cleaners like that. Just a little intro in keeping it running well etc.

Any more questions just ask.

Get a 125cc Gas Gas, best bike. Around £1000 would be good to spend to get an well looked after second hand trials bike for a learner. Remember to keep changing the oil regularly before it turns going brown change it when its still green/yellow etc. Always oil the chain before you go riding and change them once you have used for around seven events or more. Change the air filter or make sure it is clean before going out riding, remember to spray (air filter spray, cant remember name) on it so no crap like mud and stone can get into the engine etc. Grease all the nuts and bolts on the bike so they do not rust. Make sure no water goes into the engine etc and keep WD 40 off the discs etc and cleaners like that. Just a little intro in keeping it running well etc.

Any more questions just ask.

125 gasgas have been shite since 2002

125 gasgas have been shite since 2002

What the FOOK are you on about when Gas Gas is pretty much the leading bike, whats better?, ummm a sherco...NO they dont have as much power compared to the Gas Gas, a Beta............ NO there well made but are shit compared to a Gas Gas. How can you say they have been shit since 2002, do you ride trials? if yes you are probably being biased because you have a bloody 1998 Beta, f**kING TWAT.

What the FOOK are you on about when Gas Gas is pretty much the leading bike, whats better?, ummm a sherco...NO they dont have as much power compared to the Gas Gas, a Beta............ NO there well made but are shit compared to a Gas Gas. How can you say they have been shit since 2002, do you ride trials? if yes you are probably being biased because you have a bloody 1998 Beta, f**kING TWAT.

Ok chill out!!

This is my veiw on the whole thing, your a new rider so your not going to really feel the difference between any of the bikes. What you want is something at a resonable price thats going to have good durabilty even after so many years of use.

You want something thats older than 2000 to keep the cost down at this age of bike you've basically got a choice of a few makes, BETA, GAS GAS, MONTESA, SCORPA and SHERCO. Now for this age bike you don't really want a Scorpa or Montesa as they only come in a 250 model and would be to much for a novice if your not that big. Sherco's were in their first year of production in 1999 (i think!) these early bikes were pretty good at the time but that havent faired well and will proberly leave you with more costs to repair.

Thats leaves you with Beta and Gas Gas now i've been a massive Beta fan for a long time now they are very well built bikes and are proven to be brillient on the national and world scene. Gas Gas's are great bikes light and revy not quite as well built as the Beta but still a good bike.

I would get Trials and Motorcross news (weekly newspaper) and look through the adds in the back and try to find somthing within your price range. Remember you need a helmet and some boots aswell.

Hope i've helped.

All depends on your price budget. You can pick up an 03-04 model 125 for around £800-£1300 on ebay. I wouldn't really suggest any more than a 125 at this time as you would need to adjust to the power and clutch etc.

I would go for a more modern bike over an older one as they are 10 times easier to ride. I came off an aprilia 125 (1981) to a Scorpa 125 (2003) and the difference is massive (both four stroke).

Right im deffo after a second hand bike not a brand new one :) and can someone post link up :) i dnt relise they where going to be so excpensive i was looking to spend around 500 but i see thats not really going to happen :)

Oh im about 5ft 10 and weight about 12

cound i not get a 50 ?

Edited by Conor the basher.

Right im deffo after a second hand bike not a brand new one :) and can someone post link up :) i dnt relise they where going to be so excpensive i was looking to spend around 500 but i see thats not really going to happen :)

cound i not get a 50 ?

50 is childs bike sort of thing mate :)

cound i not get a 50 ?

50 hasnt got enough power for you really.

Yep I do ride Mototrials thanks. And I have a 07 Beta and a 06 GasGas, Both 250 though, and imo GasGas are S**t after 2002, I've seen sooo many blow up. Must be at least 4 now.

I would get a gasgas 125cc i had one.. gave up because of other commitments... i sold mine on ebay for around £900 it was in really good condition and was a 2002 txt pro... GasGas's are really light and great if you are just starting, !do not! get an old sherco as my mate had to replace all the bearings and seals... Although some of the gasgas's have a touchy gearbox and can be fidly to fix..

really great fun wanting to start again when i am older!

ste (Y)

Yep I do ride Mototrials thanks. And I have a 07 Beta and a 06 GasGas, Both 250 though, and imo GasGas are S**t after 2002, I've seen sooo many blow up. Must be at least 4 now.

I have an 07 Gas Gas, best bike i have ever had and the best bike around!. They are blatantly not shit after 2002, So you are saying the 2002 model is better than the 03,04,05,06,07 and now 08. Do not think so my friend.

I have an 07 Gas Gas, best bike i have ever had and the best bike around!. They are blatantly not shit after 2002, So you are saying the 2002 model is better than the 03,04,05,06,07 and now 08. Do not think so my friend.

You can't really say they are the best bike around can you.

Ok fair enough there good bikes but come on the best bikes!! Do you enjoy having to re-shim your clutch after every 4 trials, the gearbox which who know which direction is could go in, to lovely linkages on the rear suspension that rattle themselves to peices. No doubt they're good bikes but with that amount of up keep they not the best.

Edited by Matt_Tupman