Rear Brake's Gone Bad

Rebelistic

Hi,

Basically my rear brake is performing pretty poorly these days and I really want to sort it out.

My setup:

Rim - Tryall with a recent(ish) grind (I suspect that the rim is the cause of my problems)

Pads - Koxx blox blues (supposed to wear fast but perform well in all conditions)

Brake - Maggy with recent water bleed (feels solid)

I think I've heard that Tryall rims don't hold a grind very well - is this the case?

I've been riding natural in the wet wich is when the brake went bad - Koxx Blues should be ok with this though?

I'm going to re-grind my rim but I doubt it will be long before the performance drops again (next time I ride in the wet).

Could it be that riding in wet/muddy conditions cause the rim to loose its grind?

Sorry if this is a re-post (I did post a similar topic ages ago but I think the cause was different).

Cheers,

John (Y)

Tryall rims arnt the best for grinds i dont think but tryall pads and rim should preform great as the pads where tested on that rim and made to preform great on it. Try giving your pads a clean that can be a problem and give your rim a fresh grind and make sure the pads are set up square. If its still crap buy some new pads.

Thanks for the replies!

My rim is about 8 months old - not sure how many grinds it has had.

So koxx blues arn't very good then? And possibly tryall rims arn't too goood either?

Is there a pad/rim combo that will always perform well (in the wet/mud) with out having to re-grind the rim every ride?

For now I'm going to re-grind the rim and grind the Pads (to clean them) and see how that goes. I also have some plazmatic pads to try but I'be heard they are no good in the wet.

I've got a spare Onza rim to try, but I'll need to get a new hub and learn to wheel build before I can use it.

Cheers,

John.

the only brake i would trust as a competion rider is a onza ronnie grinded with koxx greens , this is an awsome combination in all weathers only downside is after about 3 grinds the rim starts to deteriate and crack .

I have had a rear v brake before that kept working even when it was nailing it down the setup was , avid single digit arms , heatsink red pads and these were run on a echo 07 rim . hope ive helped in anyway .

Why hasn't anyone suggested the most obvious answer? clean both your pads and rim! I find when riding natural in the wet with a grind, not only do you have dusty shit from the ground building up but you also have tiny bits of rim which would otherwise drop off in the dry, because the rim is wet it all builds up and get's between your pad's and rim.

Clean (rim and pads), re-grind, (and de-burr your rim at this point, run a cloth around it so any metal filings will come off) and only if that doesn't work should you consider getting new pads/rim. Im using coustsinks with a try-all rim and apart from the scenario I describe above, they are the best conbination i've ever used. I find it handy to keep a cloth with me when riding natural in the wet to remove the shit from my rim, it's harder to do the same to your pads while the bike is together but it does help improve performance a fair bit.

edit: ok sumone did suggest that, banbury at least.

Edited by Jakers

I've tried ungrinded, smoothgrinded and harshly grinded with different hardness on the pads and I can say that harshly grinded with hard pads works best over all conditions.

I run on an Echo front rim as rear wheel(don't know if they hold grinds better). And I grind it with a rasp to get large groves. I don't need to grind much(I still have a little colour left) and I've been riding my current grind for almost a year and it still works as new. I think that larger groves helps to get water and dirt away from the contact surface and the brake works better in wet and muddy condition.

Before I had this setup I was riding with softer pads and smoth grind and I could never trust my brakes, riding in wet condition was suicide.

So my tips are, harsh grind, hard pads and a fat brakebooster.

I have tryalls green pads for harshly grinded rims but I think that other hard pads should work. My brakepads seems to last long too, I've been looking at them and I can't see that much have wear off, they almost looks like they're new.

Cheers,

I've re-ground and put my plazmatic pads on - brakes working pretty good at the moment. - I have only ridden street with it though, I suspect that 10 mins down the local woods will make it all slippy again.

I'll take something to clean the rim with next time to try and stop grime from building up on the rim.

Funny though - I did try cleaning the rim with the green thingy from the washing up, but it didn't make much difference perhaps steel wool or something would be better.

Thansk again,

John.

just thought id add some input into this pad/grind situation, on a fresh grind braking perfromance drops untill its all bedded in, mine took a while to do so

also just buy some coustsinks, it doesnt matter what rim u use or the conditions or grind or smooth, them things will stop u on a dime or a 2p