Vees, Funny Forks... Need Ideas.

The Duck

What forks should I get next?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. To go with orange frame...

• Echo Urbans, in black
    • Echo Controls, in black
    • Forget vees, sell your front wheel and go disk with viz forks

Ok got some new Viz forks today after running heatsink adapters on my urbans. Setting the brake up has been a total joke.

It currently looks like this...

post-10393-1199457003_thumb.jpg

post-10393-1199457129_thumb.jpg

So I've taken all the spacers out, and put them on the outside. The set-up is still shit. The lever pulls in just enough with the little screw thing joining the lever to the cable is all the way out, but it just sponges into the bar and feels like shit. Already phoned tarty - they haven't got any ideas apart from wacking all the spacers on the other side, which i've now done.

Its not bodged in any way, the cables are brand new and the lever and callipers are about 2 months old.

Anyone got any ideas at all?

Edited so it actually makes sense.

Edited by Quackers

Looks like the forks are too narrow to me or the rim is too wide?

Put a booster on it? my forks where flexy as hell when i ran a vee - echo lites.

Forks are too narrow, not really 'fit for purpose sold' as trading standards would put it.

Its not the forks that are flexing though...

I think its your monster rim in there mate. Like youve said all the pad spacers on other side, I think you will need to get a smaller rim, or Wider forks, or go back to your urbans man.

Which is Nae cool

Edited by sidehop

to me looks like rim is wayyyyy to wide looks more suited to like a mavic or somthing (like pashleys etc) they are a thin fork, Urbans were only good for it because there so damn fat at the top.

i dont actually no what to sugest, have you tried taking all the spacers out? admitedly you wont get the up and down movement but it is possible they will be at an acceptable angle to the rim and be far enough out not to be gaaaaayyyyyy.

I mean even on my dmr frame my brake arms are pretty pushed out, avids dont do so well with fat rims.....

EDIT: send them back.... but dont go back to your urbans :(

now i see why you wanted me to come over so much...

Edited by Tom_

is it an echo 07 rim? you could get away with changing the rim to say an echo cnc? or something along those lines, maybe a mavic.

sand pads down?

what cable are you using?

Rim could be cracked down the middle and pushing inwards (unlikely but my back one did it)

lever flexing?

you will be able to sort it without changing the forks somehow.

Oh thats a joke. Surely they would have designed it to fit a Viz rim? As they are Viz forks? And my try-all is the same width as a viz rim anyway.

Edit: I think the wheel could do with tensioning, because thats where the flex is coming from, its not a bad wheel build though so it might just be the hub wobbling. Might have to send them back to tarty and get some vee urbans.

Edit: Because nooooooo way am i changing rims, building wheels etc when that wheel is only a couple of weeks old.

Edited by Quackers

Oh thats a joke. Surely they would have designed it to fit a Viz rim? As they are Viz forks? And my try-all is the same width as a viz rim anyway.

Edit: I think the wheel could do with tensioning, because thats where the flex is coming from, its not a bad wheel build though so it might just be the hub wobbling. Might have to send them back to tarty and get some vee urbans.

sounds like the best bet, ridiculous that though.

from the looks of it. no.

it could as far as i see need a thinner rim and thats about that. :/

EDIT: Vee Urbans FTMFW

Edited by Tom_

Have you tryed moveing the pad to the top of the slot it goes in and then angeling it to hit the rim square. It will mean that the brake can be pulled in more. If you dont get what i mean, the pad goes into a slot so you can line up the pad so it hit the centre of the braking surface. Becuase of the angle of the arms if you put the pads at the top of the slot it will make the brake come in futher. worth a try

Also tarts wont take them back now them been fitted either. You'd have to take it up with viz if your going to argue that the forks arent fit as they wont even fit the brake correctly witha rim the same width as a viz one. You could talk to adam and see if he can do anything as in get in touch with viz for you.

Edited by basher

i dont know f**k all about vee's but maybe pull more cable through? wouldnt that move the arms out more?

Matx

If you pull more cable through it will move the arms in. He cant pull the arms in any more as the pads are touching the rim. And the arms wont go out much more i shouldnt think and yu shouldnt have the arms at such a angle anyway.

yu shouldnt have the arms at such a angle anyway.
(Y) Looks gay for starters!

I don't know about viz forks fitting viz rims and all that (although they obviously should if made by the same company!), but you need a thinner rim to solve this problem... like hell would I be happy with that set-up on any bike. The rim you bought deffo a front one etc?

Edited by Concussion

If you pull more cable through it will move the arms in. He cant pull the arms in any more as the pads are touching the rim. And the arms wont go out much more i shouldnt think and yu shouldnt have the arms at such a angle anyway.

yeah i ment so the arms are further out so theres more cable between the arms, but yeah itd make it at an angle.

Matx

Try taking all the spacers on the inside out, Or atleast leave the 'half-circle' ones in so you have some pad movement.

Also, what's the spring tension like? As that can move the arms out a bit..

On my rear vee, i've got the springs on the bottom holes, so it feels all loose and nice. Then the spring tension screws are set-up just to align the caliper properly.

Any chance of some better pictures? With the focus so out on the caliper, it's hard to see how it's all set up... ;)

EDIT: Oh, and clean that shit off your tyre! :P

Edited by Dan6061

Tried everything and didn't work. They are designed for mega thin rims (as trials specific forks that have only been available recently - bit f**king stupid...) Tarty will take them back as long as they are in the same condition they left in (which they are, thanks tarty). Bit of a pain in the arse, don't especially like the look of the black urbans... Any suggestions on some half decent forks that would look nice too?

Thanks for help/ideas. Sorry about naff pictures - 4mp ancient cannon compact camera *** (dont have a macro lens for my SLR)

Wahoo - poll

Edited by Quackers

Whats up with silver urbans?

Orrrr spray your urbans nicley? then you dont have that gay echo sign on them... why o why could deng not just invert the colours of the old stickers on silver urbans would look 10000000 times better.

Edited by Tom_