"grinding" Amoungst Other Things

Twitch-119

Don't mean to sound 'stupid'. But whats grinding, just recently heard of it, thinking it could be scracthing surface of rim, but not sure?

-

What is the best inflation level for a rear Onza sticky finger tyre?

-

Magura HS33 brakes -- One side of the brake is not 'working' to what it looks like it should do, i did get it working nicely but its just went back to what it was before, is this normal behavior for a new HS33 (it was fitted on by 'professionals') or just bad luck

thanks josh

Grind is were you run a angle grinder around the rim to ruffen it up and put a sharp surface so the pads work well and grip the grind (Y) and you might have a lazy pistons spray some lube on it.

Thanks for help on the grinding, but my dad is an engineer by trade and says that hydralic pistons lube themselves, and he couldnt think of anything else wrong

* Grinding = roughening the surface with an angle grinder, allowing the pads better hold of the braking surface.

* Sounds like a sticky piston. Look on the trials wiki or just hold the other piston while pumping the lever and occasionally spraying a light lube...eg wd40

* Best way to get the ideal tyre pressure is to start at 30 psi...and gradually let the tyre down until you find a pressure you get on with

Thanks for help on the grinding, but my dad is an engineer by trade and says that hydralic pistons lube themselves, and he couldnt think of anything else wrong

Tell your dad all the cool people put water in their hs33's... then they don't lube themselves :P

I'm not even joking either :lol:

Yeah, everyones covered everything really, just a note on the last point. If you do spray wd40 or light oil on your piston to get it going normally make sure not to get any on the pad and the rub the excess off with a cloth, in fact... just take the pad off entirely and then put it back on when the oils been wiped off.

Alternatively it could be that your clamp bolts are too tight or the brake isn't set up correctly. Try undoing the bolts, winding off the TPA on the brake lever itself and then set the pads up properly about 1-2mm away from the rim and nice and straight. then do the bolts back up keeping the pad in the same place.

You should find that at least one of the suggestions works for you.