I Need Some More Info For A Ride In France?

abtrials

basicaly i am planing a long weekend away, with the old bike a few mates etc

but i have never been abroad to ride so i need some help.

any sugestions would be great, an area where there is loads of riding within close proximity to each other preferably, (would also like to do some natural riding as well)

let me know if you can help

and please give as much info as possible

Edited by ABTRIALS1

Well it'd have to be close, you don't get much closer than Wales for great riding. Or if you really are desperate to go abroad, then it'd have to be France. But other than riding the best rocks ever in Buthiers and Fountainebleu, I'm not sure where there are any really good spots in France.

done Laoghaire in Dublin has fantastic rocks along the shore front, pretty easy to get to by Ferry... Plenty of stuff around Dublin city, never been harassed by the cops there either. Nice in France has some cool stuff, but during the day there are loads of cops - better weather than the UK pretty much guaranteed too... Limerick in Ireland where I live has a lot of fun urban stuff, especially around the university there, though not much natural (The rock here is mostly limestone, so most of the rocks are only dry enough to have grip for a few days a year). Flights into Shannon airport will drop you within half an hour of the city.

Edited by psycholist

cheers for the replys so far people, i really would like to get out of GB and do something a bit different

france was where i thought of first, but where in france is best to stay, and where are the places to ride??

anyone who has been for a similar thing befor and had excellent time, share with me please?

Here's where Fountaineblue is.

You can ride at Buthiers (Koxx days) which is like 30mins away, both absolutely phenomanel places to ride (Fountainebleu is very famous for rock climbing). If I was you, I'd sleep in tents. Unless you've each got a couple of hundred quid to splash out on dirty mattresses and shared toilets. Camping is more fun aswell, just arrive at the forest and set up camp somewhere. You can survive on like £15 for food and water each. The most expensive thing is going to be the ferry and petrol. Ferry cost me £80 and about £50 each way petrol. Shared between you and your mates, it'll work out to be a right good laugh holiday on a budget.

done Laoghaire in Dublin has fantastic rocks along the shore front, pretty easy to get to by Ferry... Plenty of stuff around Dublin city, never been harassed by the cops there either. Nice in France has some cool stuff, but during the day there are loads of cops - better weather than the UK pretty much guaranteed too... Limerick in Ireland where I live has a lot of fun urban stuff, especially around the university there, though not much natural (The rock here is mostly limestone, so most of the rocks are only dry enough to have grip for a few days a year). Flights into Shannon airport will drop you within half an hour of the city.

Love your safe sex avatar! Brilliant!

Can get to France as a foot passanger for £18 return and you can take the bike, can i When you planning on going ?

Yeah but you've got to realise that when you get off the Ferry, it isn't simply take a walk into Calais and go riding, you'd have to get a bus and I don't know if French bus drivers enjoy bikes being their buses. I didn't take into consideration whether you had a car or not, if you don't have a car then your really limited on where you can go.

Bump to Mitcho...Come to Jersey mate ! You could something new every day for weeks and not get bored, yet you don't have to go more than a mile ! Our waterfront area is immense, rocks, sea walls, drops, massive gaps, sidehops ! we start there nearly every time and still dont get bored...and there are plenty of us that would have a spare room(s)... and what's more, it's in between U.K and France so you could stop off here for a few days then carry on to France afterwards ? Just a thought...

Joel ;)

Here's where Fountaineblue is.

You can ride at Buthiers (Koxx days) which is like 30mins away, both absolutely phenomanel places to ride (Fountainebleu is very famous for rock climbing). If I was you, I'd sleep in tents. Unless you've each got a couple of hundred quid to splash out on dirty mattresses and shared toilets. Camping is more fun aswell, just arrive at the forest and set up camp somewhere. You can survive on like £15 for food and water each. The most expensive thing is going to be the ferry and petrol. Ferry cost me £80 and about £50 each way petrol. Shared between you and your mates, it'll work out to be a right good laugh holiday on a budget.

this is looking prommising at the mo, i will be driving me and 4 others with bikes :) so i will have transport to get places

• 1 month later...

bump this needs refreshing as its all going ahead now, i have the 2 ltr mondeo booked for 5 days :) and im ready to go somwhere, just need more info on where in france to go anyone who can help please post up dont mind traveling day to day??

Hey Ryan, as you've never been to France I'll tell you a few things I've learnt. First of all the country, the land and the population spread are NOTHING like England! France covers almost 3 times the area of the whole of Britain, and the population density is less than half.

The Uk is great for riding really- we have lots of coastal cities and natural, then we have national parks generally covered with riding spots, and then we have hundreds of towns and cities packed closely together all offering something to ride. And all connected by fast moving motorways.

France is almost the opposite really. Lots of small towns and villages with hardly any riding. A few big cities spread far apart and tolls on most of the motorways. A lot of what you will see between Calais and Font will be flat, dull and boring, with the exception of Paris of course! Not to say there isn't some amazing riding to be had though.

The mountain ranges in the south are epic compared to what you will see over here, but are a long way away and I'm not sure where are the best places to ride. Your best bet probably is Buthiers and Font. I've never ridden any of the rocks around Font but Buthiers is unreal, a really great riding spot. Its about 90 minutes from Paris as well which is well worth a visit. Paris, like a lot of big cities, has lines nearly everywhere you look. Most of the good spots are spread apart though so expect to ride a few miles. Apart from Paris though, I wouldn't expect great street riding unless you are willing to drive a lot. Le Harve is supposed to be good.

Anyway I hope that helps and hope you have a good trip, you really should have just gone to Koxx days though! Its basically the same as what your doing just with a lot more people, only 4 weeks away now.

If you're camping at an official camp site there will be showers and toilet facilities for you. Special forces types have been known to use baby wipes to keep themselves cleanish while on long missions. Never plan to try that one though :).

Lol. You just need a mess tin, water, and a lil bar of soap. The rest you can make or find...

A right just made a topic about a trip to France.

Didnt see this one.

Well a few friends and I are going to France to ride.

Also I am french and I have a friend over there who rides.

So if you want to come with us your welcome.

Anyway read my thread, explains it all.

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/forum/index....howtopic=115102

Edit: There is a few spots in "les Yvelines" about 30 in drive from paris.

Edited by TrAsHeR