Pc Building Help...

PaRtZ

Friends building his own PC but he's having trouble. When he first turned it on, it beeped to say something was wrong and he thought it was the processor. So he took the cooler tower off it and put it back on which smeared a bit of the thermal paste. Tried it again, this time it didn't beep to tell him something's wrong, but he noticed he hadn't put the RAM in properly. Did so and still nothing. Now we've just re-applied some thermal paste to the processor - Still nothing. Hes also taken it out of the case and placed it on cardboard (where it is at the moment) to rule out short circuit - Still nothing

When the main big power connector is connected to the motherboard, the fans come on for like half a second before they turn themselves off, whereas if he connects the processor power supply too, they only turn for like a fraction of a second (enough to see them move)

Can anyone suggest anything to help? Anything be appreciated :)

Spec is:

Processor: Intel Q6600

Graphics card: Gigabyte HD3870XT

Motherboard: Asus P5K-E WiFi/solo app

RAM: Corsair XS2 1GB

Hard drive: 500gb something

He has got cd drives, floppy disc drives etc but he's not put them in for now

Thanks in advance

whats memory has he got?

either it might not be compatible or... does he have 2x 1gb sticks?

try putting the memory module in at one of a time. to narrow down what cause the beep.

always look in the motherboard manual to see what the beeps mean.

whats memory has he got?

either it might not be compatible or... does he have 2x 1gb sticks?

try putting the memory module in at one of a time. to narrow down what cause the beep.

always look in the motherboard manual to see what the beeps mean.

na he wants it to beep so he can do that, but its not even beeping anymore :(

The only thing that happens is the fans (last bit of my post) No beeps, where, whirring, no explosions nothing

Is the graphics card plugged in properly?

Mine wouldnt boot up because the lead wasnt all the way in, didnt beep or anything.

By plugged in, i mean the power lead is plugged into the graphics card.

Also, can reset the motherboard. take out the big battery for around 15 seconds them replace it.

Edited by Si-man

Even though building PCs is easier than ever it doesn't mean it is idiot proof (case in point). How on earth would smearing the thermal paste, and then re-appling it make any difference? The paste transfers heat to the cooler, but the chip hasn't even had a chance to warm up, let alone get to the temperature that would cause the motherboard to cut off.

Check all of the leads, something is loose somewhere. Furthurmore, consult the manual, the beeps mean something, and a sequence of beeps could indicate what the root cause of the problem is.

You've not accidentally set the power supply's voltage selector incorrectly ? Sometimes new ( therefore imported ) PSU are set to the voltage expected by foreign markets , and the retailer doesn't wish to open packaging before sale .

No, theres no selector for it and theres a uk official stamp on it too.

Even though building PCs is easier than ever it doesn't mean it is idiot proof (case in point). How on earth would smearing the thermal paste, and then re-appling it make any difference? The paste transfers heat to the cooler, but the chip hasn't even had a chance to warm up, let alone get to the temperature that would cause the motherboard to cut off.

Check all of the leads, something is loose somewhere. Furthurmore, consult the manual, the beeps mean something, and a sequence of beeps could indicate what the root cause of the problem is.

Yeah as i've said before theres no beeping at all coming from it so we don't know whats happening. And he said exactly the same thing, he explained on a PC forum and they said it was "definitly" the paste that was the problem...

Anyway hes given up and is going to send it back thanks for the ideas guys

Did he make sure he did not static anything sounds like hes f**ked the processor to be honest :S? Has he had anything on the screen at all?

Is he being a tit and not plugging something in? Has he connected everything as your saying something about when he plugs in the processor power supply, that should always be plugged in its a key thing.

Just a gess though.

right possible soloution

take it out the case,

put the board PSU and all other parts on a flat cardboard box or sumthing that will stay static free

then turn it on

if it works, i will be the case causing the problem, because i had that problem when building my new rig

turns out that the board was touching the metal base on the case

but like i said try putting the insides all connected up on the cardboard box and turn it on then

edit: that sounds all shit lol grammatically and stuff forgive me I'm tired

NicP

Edited by NicP

Before he sends it back, take everything off, inspect for damage of contacts and clean all the excess thermal paste from places it shouldn't be and start right from the beginning even clean it all off and reapply some fresh. Make sure he doesn't need to adjust jumpers or connect leads he may have missed first time round. If he remembers what the beeps were check the diagnostics info from the boards website, single beep, long single beep, multiple beeps etc all mean something. Make sure the power supply is sufficient for the job and is connected to all the right parts in the correct way.

i just thought

is the hard drive internal or external

because i've heard that doing a boot with a 500 gb seagate free againt doesnt work sometimes

even making the computer fail to post

just a thought like but worth checkin

NicP

Sounds like a PSU problem, does it have enough power?

Q6600s draw quite a lot of power, as does that graphics card.

i have a similar set up, with a slightly worse graphics card.. and it all runs fine with my hiper 580W PSU.

Edited by strelly