Just Getting Started

shadow wolf

hello my name is stef from grantham

just started trails, so i don't realy no much about what i am doing.

i have good balance on the bike. im just abit shy to try and jump across a gap and big things.

so if anyong has got any tips on some things to get me started or my confidence up that would be great.

thanks stef

hi and welcome

i not experienced but .... when doing gaps obviously get balance and make you way to the edge

get as close as you can to the edge then kick off keep your eye though on were your goin ..(aim you back wheel)

drop still very similar if its a gap drop you want to kick your hardest

or if its just a drop get to the very end any u only have to kick lightly

Hey dude, having good balance on the bike is great, i constantly practice trackstands and pedal hops (yeah, im that cool)

I've been out of riding for about 8 months so it was like learning from scratch, but i still had all the techniques in my mind, but i just couldn't do it! was so frustrating!

Practicing for gaps is relatively easy, go outside onto the road (if its quiet by you) and practice hopping on the edge of the curb, then gapping to different spots in the road, gradually gapping further and further across, then all you have to do is transfer those gaps into your general riding!

Another great place to learn the more technical moves is TrashZen loads of the member on here will highly recommend that site for learning things, its brilliant!

You seem sound so stick to the rules, stay nice and you'll go far on here!

Matt

Gapping is a flashy move to start off with. I would get the basics down first. Learn to ride onto and up and over objects like small walls or ledges. Ride obstacles that are not intimidating. This way you will build your confidence for the bigger stuff down the line. You need to be able to trackstand which is balancing on the spot with the cranks level.

Really you should do what feels right. Take advice but dont treat it as the absolute truth.

• 4 weeks later...