Dengura Problem

SCOTTY___

The second one worked well, then I broke a hose, and rebled it with water. Huge mistake. It leaked all the time, I'd have to rebleed the brake every second day. It also became very spongy and slow acting with the water inside...not designed to be used with water as far as I can see.

Has anybody else had similar experience? Is that really the reason (can't see any logic behind it) or just a coincidence?

The sponginess and poor responsiveness was probably due to it not being bled properly. A Dengura on a water bleed has a very similar feel do a disc brake lever, you can hardly feel any resistance.

[...] becaus eit is thicker than water it doesnt leek out where the water would .

leon

i dont think that what you say applyes, the main reasons for using oil is first: proper lubricating the rubber seals, and second: buy their mineral oil :giggle:

my rear brake is fine, i got one to try and am just getting annoyed with the black bits on the pistons :@ as on HS33's the black rings are so much easier to adjust.

i do think that from the factory they arent bled that "great" but if you just fill the resevoir (a bit of a top up) then im sure it would work fine.

the "waterbleed" thing will always be an arguement, just like "chris king Vs hope pro2 trials" youve just got to live with it each to their own opinion.

Iv been happy with trying dengura's i feel that if your willing NOT to use what is supposed to be in the brake then whats the point buying them in the 1st place but thats only my opinion.

Like shimano and magura disc brakes use mineral and Hope use dot4???? why do people not use the oil vice versa in those brakes???? because dot4 F**Ks seals in mineral brakes and mineral fluid knacks dot4 seals. its the same kind of thing. notice how water bleeds you feel you can "pull the lever harder" well thats probably because the water is thinner and you can compress it even further than oil???? hence why you use oil.

Wayne.

isn't alot of the reason water works because of hydrogen bonding? the oxygen is clearly not going to separate from the hyrdogen, hence no problems...

the reason the leak with denguras is that it rots the seal as there is no lubricant, so either change the seal (old maggie?), bleed it every few days or run oil

Hydrogen bonding is caused by Hydrogen and Oxygen having electronegativities that are different enough that even though the bond between them is nominally covalent, there is a charge difference created across the molecule. These charges attract oppositely charged parts of other water molecules, holding the water together as a liquid up to far higher temperatures than other compounds of comparable molecular weight. The oxygen that bonds with hydrogen to make water is not where the dissolved gas I mentioned earlier is coming from. When I said gas dissolves into water that's literally what's happening, the water is not chemically changed in any way, it just holds some unbonded oxygen/nitrogen/CO2 etc. molecules within it.

I've had my dengura on water for about two months with no problems :S

i have my HS33 bought brand new in 2001 and they weren’t bled 'till now, no leaks, the pistons in the back are perfectly dry, not even lubr

ified. 

I vote Maggy F T W

Water is one of the most incompressible fluids around, what are you talking about :blink:

Yes, as i leaned in college: water is "incompressible"(as in: you dont care about compression, only in big industrial devices)

Edited by baladi

Hydrogen bonding is caused by Hydrogen and Oxygen having electronegativities that are different enough that even though the bond between them is nominally covalent, there is a charge difference created across the molecule. These charges attract oppositely charged parts of other water molecules, holding the water together as a liquid up to far higher temperatures than other compounds of comparable molecular weight. The oxygen that bonds with hydrogen to make water is not where the dissolved gas I mentioned earlier is coming from. When I said gas dissolves into water that's literally what's happening, the water is not chemically changed in any way, it just holds some unbonded oxygen/nitrogen/CO2 etc. molecules within it.

your on about dipoles aren't you? as in hydrogen will be slightly positive and oxygen slightly negative, but has two lone pairs, and attracts charged hydrogens. and some shite about intermolecular forces keeping them attracted.

• 4 weeks later...
Here's a tip from Heatsinkbikes.com: Sidestep extortionately priced rebranded mineral oil sold by the manufacturers, and try some clear mineral oil available cheaply in any high street. For example why not put some Baby Oil in your brakes!

babyoil.jpg

:giggle: Not sure if it would feel nice or lubricate atall? But i might give it a try soon.

EDIT: pic wouldn't come up.

I always use baby oil and rarely ever bleed my brakes, magura on rear, dengura on front. Works well for me.

your on about dipoles aren't you? as in hydrogen will be slightly positive and oxygen slightly negative, but has two lone pairs, and attracts charged hydrogens. and some shite about intermolecular forces keeping them attracted.

I do chemisty. So as much as this is interesting

Water is virtually incompressible, when only using it for a simple hydraulic function

And if theres a gap in the system water will get out, anything will leak, if it has hydrogen bonding or w.e.

Baby oils alright to bleed with, just goes all over your hands and leaves your pistons greasy and gamm if they snap, stick to water....

That's about right - even though nominally Hydrogen and Oxygen share electrons (Covalent bond), the electronegativity of Oxygen (3.44) is a lot higher than Hydrogen (2.2), leaving the covalently bonded molecule with a slight negative charge on the Oxygen and a slight positive on each Hydrogen. These charges allow adjacent H2O molecules to bond weakly to each other, making it harder for the water to vapourise (It takes more energy as it's a more tightly bonded liquid).

All I've ever used in Maguras is Citroen LHM Fluid (It's for the hydraulic suspension systems and is probably chemically identical to Magura Blood).

The compressibility of water is 2.3GPa - what this means can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulk_modulus - what it effectively means is that you're not going to notice the fluid being compressed compared to the other sources of sponginess in a brake system.

Edited by psycholist

I do chemisty. So as much as this is interesting

Water is virtually incompressible, when only using it for a simple hydraulic function

And if theres a gap in the system water will get out, anything will leak, if it has hydrogen bonding or w.e.

Baby oils alright to bleed with, just goes all over your hands and leaves your pistons greasy and gamm if they snap, stick to water....

Erm, Not questioning is this is right or wrong but didn't you fail your chemistry course hahaha :)

I love you mike :)

id happily say that the magura manufacturing quality is alot higher than that of a dengura, sounds like the seals are crap, or that the piston bores are made oversize.

stick with a good ol' hs33 happy days;)