Rear Disc?

Big_oll

Hi guys,

Just bought myself a new bike (changed from stock to mod). I've always ran a smooth rim with koxx bloxx and kept my rim as clean as possible, i've never had problems with braking power and this suits me as i can't stand loud brakes. However, the bike i bought had a very light grind on the rim and is rather noisy, it also has a hope 6-pot with a 205mm rotor up front(i know, a bit overboard), i'm more than impressed with it after running a front V for years!

I'm playing with the idea of running a rear disc.

Is this possible with a profile?

I'm aware that there may be a bit of play as instead of stopping the rim you stop the hub, has this caused anyone problems?

Am i being silly and should just re-grind the rim giving me more of a swishy sound? Any other ways of keeping noise to a minimum or am i being girly? Haha!

cheers guys, any input will be greatly appreciated,

oliver

Edited by Big_oll

From past experience I can say that a 180mm Mono Trials is way more powerful than any rim brake setup I've come across on a mod.

There isn't much play on a mod wheel, wouldn't worry about that.

As for a profile, yes it's possible but you may have to do an adaptor bodge since the disc mount on the hub is in the wrong place.

If you want to go rear disc, don't get a 6-pot Hope, get a Mono Trial. It's more powerful, lighter and doesn't come with a floating disc.

yes

"hasta la vista, face" *pulls brake*

Haha, it does work rather well. My mate has a hope mono on his xc bike and was interested in swapping it for my 6-pot, worth it or not?

Well, i paid pennies for a nearly brand new bike with it on so i'm not complaining! It looks good though on a 20" front wheel, all big and macho.

So what about having a silent but powerfull rear brake? Possible?

oliver

yes

"hasta la vista, face" *pulls brake*

wayyyyy too excessive. a bb7 or mono trial is all you need.

LOLZ

Yeah with 6 piston brakes the pistons extend in sequence not all at once, thats how those dh guys get thier modulation.

This is not what we need for trials so we tend to stick with single, large bore pistons.

IE Mono Trials ***

i'm kinda undecided on my rear disc, i use a bb7 with a 180 rotor, i loe the silence, the modulation but it doesnt seem to have the bite and sometimes the hold of a well setup maggy. im gonna try a 200mm rotor and see if thats any improvement. im loathed to try a maggy again, i hate the noise and i hate the lack of modulation.

i'm kinda undecided on my rear disc, i use a bb7 with a 180 rotor, i loe the silence, the modulation but it doesnt seem to have the bite and sometimes the hold of a well setup maggy. im gonna try a 200mm rotor and see if thats any improvement. im loathed to try a maggy again, i hate the noise and i hate the lack of modulation.

Try a Mono Trial? Mine are such bitey little bastards it's untrue, catch me out sometimes.