Stripped Threads

Milford Cubicle

Hi i was wondering i have just stripped one of the threads in my frame for my maggie.

I was wondering if i drilled a hole in the other side of my frame and ran a longer bolt and then did it up with a nut on the other side,

A-would it hold it properly? and

B-would it weaken my frame at all?

Thanks in advance

billxxx

Heli coils are the best answer for this problem, My frame is currently heli coiled and its fine.

If they are not really bad a ghetto way is to wrap tape around the bolt, a really thin layer, this seem to help threas hold but their is a minimal chance of this actually working. I suppose its best to try a few things before you go all out and drill your frame.

Helicoil!

Because helicoils are made of steel, they are actually stronger than the original threads in your magura mounts.

Your local bike shop should be able to do it for relitively cheap! (or an engineers should be able to do it).

Theres only a few alternatives to helicoiling, and they don't give you the original benefits of yoyr standard 4 bolt mount.

For example putting a longer bolt with a nut on the end would mean drilling a hole in the frame when it could be avoided, and tapping the thread the next size up means a bigger bolt which will mean you will have to make space in your clamps and booster.

One other idea I was going to try before I went for helicoiling was to get someone to weld the hole, and re tap the thread.

But Helicoiling is much stronger and easier.

If you want your problem sorted you will have to spend a bit of money and do a bit of searching.

I got 2 of my 4 bolt holes helicoiled by a bloke who does motorbike tuning, and that only cost me £5.

Have a look in your Yellow pages for an engineer or a local firm that works with car repairs/engines, as they either do it themselves or will know someone who can do it for you.