Headset Problem **now Got Pictures**

walker

Right ive just got a new headset and i'm having some troubles. Ive installed it correctly to the instructions and its not working properly.

Basically, the crown race is not pulling up square to the bottom cup/bearing. It pulls up close at the front of the forks, but theres a 1mm gap at the back, so its not square.

Its a Specialites TA sealed bearing headset. the crown race is like a split ring, i presume this slit is designed to close when you tighten it all up, but no matter how much i tighten the top cap, the corwn race wont pull up square. Any ideas on the problem? Im not a harsh rider, so i would be suprised if it's a bent steerer tube and ive checked and the headset cups are pushed in perfectly square.

hmm? whats the problem?

Andrew

Edited by walker

Right ive just got a new headset and i'm having some troubles. Ive installed it correctly to the instructions and its not working properly.

Basically, the crown race is not pulling up square to the bottom cup/bearing. It pulls up close at the front of the forks, but theres a 1mm gap at the back, so its not square.

Its a Specialites TA sealed bearing headset. the crown race is like a split ring, i presume this slit is designed to close when you tighten it all up, but no matter how much i tighten the top cap, the corwn race wont pull up square. Any ideas on the problem? Im not a harsh rider, so i would be suprised if it's a bent steerer tube and ive checked and the headset cups are pushed in perfectly square.

hmm? whats the problem?

Andrew

if it's the same (dont hold me to this)

i just had to hit the the bit that go's onto the forks pretty hard

not sure if this is what you mean.....

but it's what ive done to all my headsets

here are some pics to help:

DSC00261.jpg

DSC00263.jpg

Had another look at it, and its still puzzling me. In the first pic you can see the gap between the crown race and the bottom cup on the left hand side (bike is upside down). This is the same for the top cup, but to a much lesser extent.

Andrew

Are they echo/zoo etc. forks? I had a similar problem although not as extreme with some urbans where the area for the base of the headset was nowhere near flat. Maybe contact who you brought them from, or see if you can spy the high spots on the fork and carefully file them level.

Edited by huge

Make sure you are using the metal washer on the bottom of the streering tube and the plastic one at the top.

Sorry i dont quite get what you mean, theres not plastic washers in this set.

did it have some coprestion rings ?

thats what mine needed

What are they?

Like Inur said, looks like the steerers bent, take the fork out and find a straight edge, like the edge of a ruler, put the steerer up against it and see if its bent, if not its probably something needs facing.

Ok done the test, if its bent, its only by a tiny tiny amount, so its not that.

On closer inspection of the headset it would appear that the bottom bearing is not seating on the crown race correctly, as there is a score mark on the anodised crown race that the bearing has been turning on (obvously not correct!