Osx86 Project

Thom

Ive been using osx 10.5 on my PC for about a month or so now with no problems!

Ive been pretty lucky with hardware, as osx is picky! (im running a Q6600, P5W DH deluxe, 2gb ram, 6600gt)

It took a good few days to get working how i wanted it, but it was nothing difficult. There are many forums to help out.

Ive been using XP for years, upgraded to vista after christmas, became sick of it after about a week and turned to osx, best choice!

using a program called VMware Fusion, i have installed xp and can use any windows apps i miss (only winamp!)

Its well worth doing if your comps up to it!

EDIT:

post-13750-1203530126_thumb.jpg

An operating system for each screen!

Edited by strelly

Thanks for the replies, that VMware looks very handy.

My comp is dual core E6750, 3 gig ram, 8600 GT

would that be ok ?

Yea that should be fine, its mainly the motherboard that you need to worry about...

Have a look through here?, it should tell you whether or not your mobo will be suitable.

Good luck!

Charlie

I have it on my computer, I'm running JaS 10.4.7 (yes it's really out dated but it works and I don't have any probs). I'm really surprised, my whole computer works awesome with a fresh install from that DVD, absolutely everything works without any problems. Though, that's not the case with most computers...

Anyhow, find a good internet connection, some time to spare, a few DVDs and try a out a couple of distributions ! (okay, maybe a another hdd wouldn't be a bad thing either...)

Good luck, read about in the wiki before starting and don't be shy to ask in here as the osx86 project forum is rather slow to answer stuff...

check this link for an overview of hardware compatibility

Edited by paolo

Thanks guys, I'm probably going to give the kalyway release a go.

Cheers!

From personal experience and a bit of reading, there's quite a bit of fiddling around required to get the os to start once installed with kalyway. Worth giving it a shot, anywho...

Ive been using osx 10.5 on my PC for about a month or so now with no problems!

Ive been pretty lucky with hardware, as osx is picky! (im running a Q6600, P5W DH deluxe, 2gb ram, 6600gt)

It took a good few days to get working how i wanted it, but it was nothing difficult. There are many forums to help out.

Ive been using XP for years, upgraded to vista after christmas, became sick of it after about a week and turned to osx, best choice!

using a program called VMware Fusion, i have installed xp and can use any windows apps i miss (only winamp!)

Its well worth doing if your comps up to it!

EDIT:

post-13750-1203530126_thumb.jpg

An operating system for each screen!

I'm fairly sure you can get Winamp working in WINE (http://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX) so you wouldn't need to run a virtual machine. Also xmms is available for mac and is basically a Winamp 2 clone.

To anyone else, VirtualBox is free and faster than the free versions of VMWare - http://www.virtualbox.org

And as OSX isn't available as a separate license - installing it would be illegal :P That's why I just stick with Linux instead :)